DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had this screenshot of the peerless Xt25 saved for further discussion. The response drops like a rock as early as 4khz. Is this dissimilar from the off axis drop characteristic of a small driver, for the topic a small wideband?

View attachment 318155
These are 0, 30 and 60 degree graphs. Seems to pretty closely follow the standard pattern to me. Not sure what causes the big dip at 15k way off axis, but i don't think a dip at 15k and 60 degrees is a problem for you in a car.

If you're really into this and really want to learn about speakers and how they work, I suggest "High Performance Loudspeakers" by Martin Colloms. It's excellent and it's a bit easier to read than some of the really hardcore explanations.

Here's a used copy for $4.This will be a better use of your time than reading here or in FB SQ groups.

High Performance Loudspeakers by Colloms, Martin: Good (1997) 5th Edition. | Better World Books

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,007 Posts
These are 0, 30 and 60 degree graphs. Seems to pretty closely follow the standard pattern to me. Not sure what causes the big dip at 15k way off axis, but i don't think a dip at 15k and 60 degrees is a problem for you in a car.

If you're really into this and really want to learn about speakers and how they work, I suggest "High Performance Loudspeakers" by Martin Colloms. It's excellent and it's a bit easier to read than some of the really hardcore explanations.

Here's a used copy for $4.This will be a better use of your time than reading here or in FB SQ groups.

High Performance Loudspeakers by Colloms, Martin: Good (1997) 5th Edition. | Better World Books
The speaker I posted was a ring radiator if I didn’t mention it and the steep drop off seems to be consistent with all ring radiator tweeters. I believe I’ve read that the beaming occurs because of the mechanics of the pinned center and the radiating surface creating cancellations. Either way, independent of the mechanism causing the early beaming in ring radiators, does the final result give similar small imaging in the treble similar to on axis widebanders?

·
Registered
719 Posts
The speaker I posted was a ring radiator if I didn’t mention it and the steep drop off seems to be consistent with all ring radiator tweeters. I believe I’ve read that the beaming occurs because of the mechanics of the pinned center and the radiating surface creating cancellations. Either way, independent of the mechanism causing the early beaming in ring radiators, does the final result give similar small imaging in the treble similar to on axis widebanders?
As I mentioned, this is not so different than a standard dome in terms of attenuation off axis at high frequencies. If you look carefully at the chart on the previous page, you'll see that a 3" "widebander" begins to become not so useful off axis almost an octave and a half lower than a 1" tweeter. I think you're in the weeds here. Adding a tweeter will give you better sounding high frequencies and more high frequency in the reflected sound. There's not a significant different in this regard between a 1" ring radiator and a 1" dome. The real difference between them is in smoother response at REALLY high frequencies and there isn't much going on in any recording above about 10k-15k.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento EX
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@GotFrogs - to simplify wiring and mainting my existing 5-channel amp and Mini DSP (6-channel output), TA and system balance, what are your thoughts on using a small coaxial like the Morel Integra 424 (spec sheet attached) or Tempo Ultra Integra 402 MKII near the 6.5" lower front door driver and run them as a passive set, but with overall DSP control?

I guess I'd probably initially HPF around 300Hz and LPF around 1500Hz, HPF tweeter at 1500HZ

They could be bi-amped at a later date, but will necessitate a new DSP and amp for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento EX
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
found this thread that effectively answers my question about the Morel coaxials:

·
Registered
719 Posts
found this thread that effectively answers my question about the Morel coaxials:

Our GS42 also includes a low pass filter for the woofer and a 12dB/oct high pass filter for the tweeter inside the basket.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts