DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread to get some input on different coffees to try in case I missed a bunch.

I used to drink espresso, but the liquid gold I would ingest 3-6 times a day has caught up to the limits of my gastrointestinal tolerance. So I would get a burn and weird acidic esophagus blowback that told me I need to simmer down.

So I stopped coffee for almost a year. Then I went to drip, which for 4 months or so I have been somewhat enjoying. I use a paper filter that I noticed DOES make a difference in the acid or whatever it is I was getting with espresso...BECAUSE, when I did French press, I would get the same symptom! So the paper filter does something in ...you guessed it, filtering out the harsh stuff. Maybe the tanins or something?

But I have been enjoying coffee again!

When I drank espresso I knew all the ones I loved. But now on drip, I'm having a hit miss situation.
I like....

Peet's Major Dickens,
Intelegensia, (BlackCat, but it gets lost in the process for drip .
49th Parallel
Blue Bottle
Flying Goat
RedBird
Cafecito Organica
Verve
Handsomes
SightGlass
Level

I have another 10 or so I enjoy...

What are some on your list? Maybe you can share some drip favs or brew methods you tested that make a difference.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I enjoy coffee now too...it's mostly a self medicating thing that began when my Thyroid tanked and I couldn't get through the day.

That's mostly been resolved but I still enjoy a good cup. I've found coffee snobs to be a lot like audiophiles :eek: There's always an added step to master unobtanium. Add it in to your process and then find out from another snob you missed a step or did it wrong.

It's hilarious. Especially all the DIY coffee videos on youtube. I grind mine...paper filter...and have a cheap drip machine. Everybody seems to really enjoy it. Unprompted, I always get great feedback and it becomes THE topic when the wife has the ladies over.

I always wondered how to get rid of the bitterness and tried a few things here and there. One time I tried a cup of Dunkin Donuts brand that was amazing. I went home to make it and it was nothing special. Added a bit more than usual and it just made it more bitter. Then my sister added even more than that to my astonishment; brought out that full flavor and got rid of the bitterness. Turns out I can only do that with 10 cups of water. Trying to make a small batch never really worked out.

*shrug*

So that's what I do typically. But my coffee maker broke and I begrudgingly bought a Keurig since I don't drink much and the wife liked it.

My favorite is Kona Classic

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Boyd's -Red Wagon-
This my favorite right now. This is just like pure un-cut race gas...
God I love coffee

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehe...yes...

Interesting with the amount of coffe.

In most coffee directions it instructs to use 2 table spoons per cup.
Most folks will miss that a cup of coffee serving is 6oz!
And my cup is 12oz! Which is likely average. But for 12oz you need at least 4 spoons of coffee to make it bold. If you want to counter that, you can grind more fine, but that can have other side effects.

I too use the basic paper filter pour over methid direct to my mug. Which reminds me...brb, gotta get me a cup :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Vietnamese cafe is my preferred choice........
Razano (brought back 10kilos on my last trip)
Trung Nguyen (available state side)

Brewed with small stainless drippers which I've seen in the Asian food markets here. There was another brand that I would mix with the Trung Nguyen and was quite a tasty blend, but of course I can't remember ATM. Gonna have to put in a call to the in-laws soon to restock.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Brew method: Chemex Ottomatic w/paper filter (everyday), AeroPress while traveling.

Coffee: depends on what I have around. Usually decent to high quality beans.

Thoughts: Coffee beans, quantity (by weight, not volume), grind size, water temp, and time make the biggest difference in taste.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
At our house and at our shop, we use paper filters... but we don't use the white bleached filters. NEVER!!! We use the brown filters...... ahhhhhhh coooffffeeee.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
French press for me or Turkish on a good day.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
I buy whole beans and grind them about 15 seconds before I brew. I use a press and love the coffee it makes.

If acidity is a problem for you, try cold brewing with a Toddy. They make a nice, strong coffee that you can cut with water to bring it down to normal strength. It's cold brew, so you either need to like cold coffee, or you need to heat it up. The cold brew process does a really good job keeping the acidity lower, making it much easier on your gut.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I've been wanting to try this but I bet it tastes like ass. But that caffeine content is off the charts.
World's Strongest Coffee – Death Wish Coffee Company

That being said we usually just get the kona blend from sprouts and grind before brewing. Usually only use that on weekends when wife and I actually see each other in morning.

During week I just use whatever the cheapest K cup in a light to medium roast.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have an coffee roaster in town. Greencastle Coffee Roasters

I got burned out on the flavored coffees. I usually buy hole bean and grind each morning.

Favorite is still Blue Mountain(but its $40.00/lb)
Their coffee from Costa Rica is good.
Helter Skelter is double caffine with a hint of their Highlander Grogg
Jamaican Me Crazy is good
The Flying Monkey Blend is good.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Speaking of caffeine, another interesting thing...
Lighter roasts have more caffeine than darker roasts as the caffeine dissipates in the roasting process. So a "stronger" caffeine coffee would likely be a lighter roasted coffee.

If I have any issues with paper pour over, and I think if I have other foods with more acid, I have had the feeling a couple times.

Is that Exotica the stuff the monkey eats and poops out and is supposed to have the smoothest of taste or something?!?!! I never tried that. LOL!

And the coffee original is Arabic coffee, the Ottomans popularized it. Arabs visiting the reagion first opened shop and serve Arabic Coffee, and the Turkish leader spread it among the empire, and then it was marketed and now international tweaked to be known as Turkish coffee. Now thats some marketing power!

I don't think I have had flavored coffee in 20 years. Flavored coffee was designed to mask low grade coffee that would normally not sell. But some flavors cought on, like hazelnut, vanilla, and some roasters offered it, but likely with older beans than the premium. Since flavoring will ting the nuance flavors of a fresh roast, why not/?

Speaking of flavored coffee..I guess I do flavor the coffee after I brew....

Now that I drink "American coffee"/pour over in a large mug, I have been using Califa creamer.
I don't drink milk/dairy, and I was looking for different creamers.
I tried Silk, Coconut, Almond, and a few different brands, well all that were available to me via Vons, Ralphs, Trader Joes, Whole Foods.
There is a Pacifica soy brand that has a line specific for coffee shops, and is designed for Barista's which works well as it doesn't curdle or break up, but hard to find. Califa is REALLY good. Original is my fav as it lets more of the coffee flavor remain vs the Hazelnut.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
There are a number of good roasters here in CA, a couple in LA area.
But 49th Parallel is pretty amazing and they are up north Ontario or some where in Canada..
Verve is in Santa Cruz and have been to the local shop, which is really nice. Cafecito Organic is LA, and a great coffee. Handsome is local also, SightGlass as well. RedBird is in Montana.

Lot of these guys you can often speak to direct when ordering something. Another nice one I had was in Florida, Panther Coffee. In NY, I was recommended Demarco, and I went to the shop, and there were kids running it that didn't know how to make an espresso, so that was lame. But at a few bakeries there were some good coffees. Good coffee is everywhere...just gotta try different ones to find that , and then see if its consistent.

I had this dream of roasting my own beans. Maybe open up a coffee shop. Well, maybe roasting the beans first for a while would be a start :)

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
dead on money with history lesson Phil.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have yet to try out the french press I got from our wedding. Should've tried it while I was on vacation.

I've been grinding whole beans and using the reusable things for the Keurig which isn't too bad. I've tried a few different kinds of beans, but nothing has been spectacular.

·
Registered
460 Posts
anything from kona going to have no bitterness. awesome coffee

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
If you guys really want to get into coffee, roast your own. Sweet Maria's is a home roaster web company in Oakland, CA that sells green coffee from all over the world and teaches you how roast it.

I have been roasting my own for over two years with an old popcorn popper. There is nothing like a 1-2 day old freshly roasted coffee!

I use a Technivorm drip machine at home and an aero press when I am on the road.

The great thing about green coffee is that it stays fresh for around 1 year.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have heard of Sweet Maria's when I was researching roasting. And have heard people getting great results with a corn popper. Maybe I'll do this one day. Thanks for sharing.

Do you think the aroma of the roasting where you drink is a large influence on what you taste in the cup, or ?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Sweet Maria's has a bit on this. My answer is yes. The way to test this is to brew a fresh pot of coffee and then refrigerate a part of the pot over night and reheat it. Supposedly the flavor is the same, but the aroma is largely eliminated.

When they rate coffee dry and wet aroma is part of the scoring. In my experience, freshly roasted coffee has a dimension of aroma and flavor the first 4-5 days that is in another league over normally 'fresh' coffee.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts