DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
All you need is a unbleached paper filter and a honeycomb style drip over your mug. All for less than $30.

As I pour the hot water, I make sure I stir it so the crema is nice and thick, and that the water saturates in all the grounds fully. If you dont see crema when you do the pour over, you need to change your coffee.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It was a Christmas gift for both of us. It seemed cheaper that way.

·
Registered
504 Posts
All you need is a unbleached paper filter and a honeycomb style drip over your mug. All for less than $30.

As I pour the hot water, I make sure I stir it so the crema is nice and thick, and that the water saturates in all the grounds fully. If you dont see crema when you do the pour over, you need to change your coffee.

Sounds easy enough. I'll have to look up what crema is though.

I might try the cold-brew method also. I just read about it on another website.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
"crema" is the frothy cream you get on top of your brew. It is a term used more so in espresso making, but you get this tasty froth when brewing fresh beans.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Glad to be of help.....

I just got a # of Peets Reserve Ethiopian Yirgacheffe , and its a goood cup. Have had many of this reagion over the years and with the right roast, it makes a great espresso.

Im gonna have to give the cold brew method a try if it is that much better for acid reflux.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Never heard of Philz,
They just opened up a Philz in Santa Monica. I'll have to check it out.

Sightglass is very good. Ritual I just had an espresso in DTown last week. They are solid. I think you'd like the Cafecito Organico.

Ya, I can't drink Allegro from WF. That stuff is pretty bad(espresso). I have tried maybe 1 other drip years back, and its a no go.They may have improved/?

Trader joes, I think I tried everything on that dam shelf and the only 2 I enjoyed was the Peaberry, and the Guatamala. And they were better than the others of TJ, but not worth a mention outside of the TJ lineup.

Philz is a Norcal coffee shop that does pour over with a lot of their own custom blends. Originally just a couple shops, they've expanded a lot over the last couple years. I think they received some investment and now are one of the big players in the Bay Area. I believe they started the Pour Over stuff long before Blue Bottle did.

If you're in Santa Monica, check out Funnel Mill as well. The have an amazing cold brew among other really unique selections.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yes, I liked BBottle.
I will surely check both out, as I'm in SM pretty often.
Thanks!

(If you are around Main street and haven't tried it, make sure you go to Espresso Ciello)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
So I decided this morning I would grind up some of our kona blend and bring to work due to reading this thread

Even though I have this stock pile in my desk

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Empty that stock pile and fit a grinder in there ;-)

Be sure to toss that Starsucks crap out.

After I posted this thread, I thought to myself days later. Particularly after posting about Starbucks. It had been some time and thought I should give it another go with another option from Starbucks. So I went in a bought a bag of the Breakfast blend. I brewed it 3 times with different settings, over the day. Ended up tossing the rest out.

Life is too short for crap coffee!

(those pods are actually flavored with coffee flavoring and are likely better than the actual coffee beans). Lot of science, smoke and mirrors to produce those.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
oh I'm sure. My mother in law bought them for us on 1saleaday so they were hella cheap. That's the last of them. Honesty the instant coffee from whole foods I have in the back of the drawer tastes better. I keep the starbucks in the drawer just incase.

The only starbucks coffee I like is the blonde roast. I tend to go for the lighter roasts. The fact that it has more caffeine content is just a perk for me.

The green mountain breakfast blend isn't terrible. Add a little liquid stevia to it and it's livable for sure. Bought 90 of them for 36 shipped last week

My favorite and it may just be my favorite due to a lack of knowledge/ignorance, is the kona blend from Sprouts. We always buy a couple pounds of it when it's on sale for 6.99

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I did notice Sprouts had a large coffee selection. I would think any of them are better than Bucks.

I tried the breakfast blend and it tasted like the paper filter, which is not bitter or anything, but no flavor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've tried a couple of the whole beans from Kirkland.

The first that I bought a couple months ago was fantastic. It may have been the Rwandan, but I haven't seen that bag there in a while.

The one I have now is not very good at all. I just noticed why the other day. It's the one roasted for Starbucks... If I find one of our friends that wants it then I'll gladly give it away.

I'll check into some of the suggestions on here and possibly bust out the french press.
I was disappointed to find they didn't have the Rwandan yesterday when I went to resupply so I picked up a bag of Kirkland Signature Costa Rica. I think I found a new favorite. Darker then the Rwandan but not burnt/charred like a french roast. Bold but not bitter.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
nobody has a source for great green beans to roast in their DIY popcorn roaster?

might be too much trouble but if people can go apeshit over wine/cigars/chocolates, then maybe the freshness of home roast is worth the extra time, expense?

I know roasting daily would be considered a waste of time, and if you have a small family or just one likes coffee it's a luxury but still, maybe once a month you get a couple of pounds of green beans, then share a couple fresh ounces with a couple of friends/family.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was disappointed to find they didn't have the Rwandan yesterday when I went to resupply so I picked up a bag of Kirkland Signature Costa Rica. I think I found a new favorite. Darker then the Rwandan but not burnt/charred like a french roast. Bold but not bitter.

I'll be looking for either the Rwandan or Costa Rica when I go shopping in a week. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
nobody has a source for great green beans to roast in their DIY popcorn roaster?

might be too much trouble but if people can go apeshit over wine/cigars/chocolates, then maybe the freshness of home roast is worth the extra time, expense?

I know roasting daily would be considered a waste of time, and if you have a small family or just one likes coffee it's a luxury but still, maybe once a month you get a couple of pounds of green beans, then share a couple fresh ounces with a couple of friends/family.
I'd love to do it...earlier someone posted about Sweet Maries. You can buy great green beans for very cheap. Coffee is almost as much marked up as frozen yogurt/1000%

https://youtu.be/OTsC6JWM0qU
https://youtu.be/tb-PbDvxslw
https://youtu.be/JaQNy0Ef4YY

·
Registered
571 Posts
A new coffee roaster opened up in town. By accident after picking up some Noah's bagel made left turn and there tucked away in this alley was this coffee roaster. Pachamama.
I needed some so thought why not? The proprietor had just turned the key in the door when I pulled up. Argh, I should have taken a pick as they had a brand spanking new roaster. Anyway my timing couldn't have been better. Woot. Excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I went to the website. If that is what a coffee exec should look like, maybe they should think about it when wanting to charge $20!! for 10oz of beans!!

(It sure looks like they spent a good dime on photography.)

They want $90 for greens!
2015 Yirgacheffe, 10 lbs. $90.00

This is supposed to be $30-60 tops.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I'm a coffee lover as well. Unfortunately, since I travel every week, most of the 'coffee' I drink is the swill at whatever hotel I'm staying.

I have enjoyed espresso, french press, and mostly drip now when at home. I used to have a local place that roasted in the shop, and I could get a variety of very fresh beans.

I then was introduced to Tonx out of San Fran (well, apparently they were bought by Blue Bottle Coffee), and I enjoyed their quirky style, etc. but the coffee always had a strange aftertaste - can't put a finger on it.

Blue Bottle Coffee

I visited Kauai a couple years ago and took a tour of Kauai Coffee Company grounds / visitor center - love their coffee! I have been on a monthly delivery ever since.

Kauai Coffee

I saw this on the shelf in Anchorage this past summer - would have been fun to pick up a couple pounds.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Been to the Kauai coffee roasters too. Looked pretyy heavily touristic. I did find the best ice cream I have ever had on that island. It was called Tropical Dreams, in a video rental/ice cream store behind the poke bowl sushi stand.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts