DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Before I left South Florida I discovered Baby's Coffee down in the Keys Home (they now have a 2nd place in NO around the French Quarter I think) so during the Holidays I pick up some bags for the family members who like coffee and gift it to them. Which reminds me I need to place an order soon, I really want to try their Havana roast.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Never bumped into that spot, but did have some amazing sliders and great course of dinner and I think hands down the best keylime pie at the Square....uh oh. I have to look it up, I forgot the name of the restuarant!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Really enjoying a Costa Rican Terrazu from Peet's Reserve roasts.
Smooth rich, with full flavor, maybe cacao like flavor with zero bitterness.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
this place is on my way home from work and think I may stop and pick a bag of this up to try out.
House Blend (12oz)

Also going to talk to them and see if they can help me pick out others I may like? I typically just drink light roast.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I'm often a sucker for the word "craft", so I'd surely give it a try.

I don't have a problem freezing whole beans for drip, so I have over 5lbs to go through before I look for different stuff.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'll echo the sentiments about Vietnamese Ca phe da (iced coffee) over condensed milk. I eat pho on a regular basis and almost always enjoy a cup of it with my pho tai nam. The preparation is very simple and very rich in flavor. It is ideal to use coarse grounds in order to use the metal drip filter. I think I'll go make a cup now actually. :D

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Ended up getting this one and wow! Delicious!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
hehe...yes, thats what I'm drinking now. as long as its a fresh roast,and nicely toasted, ...I really liked this. Having a cup now. cheers!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I grew up in Hawaii and I don't drink much Hawaiian coffee. Need to get on it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Never heard of Philz,
They just opened up a Philz in Santa Monica. I'll have to check it out.

Sightglass is very good. Ritual I just had an espresso in DTown last week. They are solid. I think you'd like the Cafecito Organico.

Ya, I can't drink Allegro from WF. That stuff is pretty bad(espresso). I have tried maybe 1 other drip years back, and its a no go.They may have improved/?

Trader joes, I think I tried everything on that dam shelf and the only 2 I enjoyed was the Peaberry, and the Guatamala. And they were better than the others of TJ, but not worth a mention outside of the TJ lineup.
Have you hit Philz yet? Interested in your opinion. Be warned, it's crowded and they make each cup one at a time so it takes a while.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Picking up a bag of this over break today. Description sounds delicious.

Four Alarm

$13.79, 12oz

Source: Ethiopia, Kenya, Costa Rica, Guatemala

Delicate but deeply dimensioned aroma: distinct milk chocolate, hints of aromatic cedar and low-toned, temperate fruit: peach, perhaps, or apricot. Almost sugary sweet in the cup, light-bodied, with a tight-knit complexity centered on peach- or cherry-toned milk chocolate. The finish is refreshing.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I never tried that one/4Alaram, but sounds familiar.

What is up with stores selling specialty coffee and trying to get away with roast dates over a month or many case over 2 months old!!!

Folks, don't accept coffee at retail prices when its over 2 weeks old. Nuance flavors start to get lost and if its over 3 weeks, you will have lost a good portion of flavor.

Target used to discount them before, but now they have no problem selling 2-3 month old coffee to their customers. They even have Peet's Coffee mark the bag with a legal "best if sold by date". This is a loop hole created so they are not forced to dump the item. You can freeze whole beans and be fine for some time, but on a shelf for months. The grocery stores I go to understand this and easily give 30-50% off

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I will keep that in mind. I am actually leaving office now to go get it.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
ended up getting this. They were out of everything else I was interested in. Damn thing was $18 though. Didn't know until I was at register. grrr

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
whats the roast date on it?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Looks good....Never buy ground coffee. Always grind yourself...even in a cheap $14 blade grinder, will be better than preground.

$18 is up there on the top tier specialty stuff. let us know the roast date! Most top tier producers will rather go Sold Out than have sub par optimal coffee on hand.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
If you can wait a little to save a couple 20's it would be well worth skipping those and getting a Barazta. They list at 129, but often on sale from 89-99.

If you have some points with an online site or something use it and get it.

I have had at least 10 different grinders, and the more control you want in flavor, the more important it is. Many of the "bur" are tiny discs and they can create a lot of powder.
Also if you do anything around espresso grind, the Barazta can handle it, others will not regardless of claim. Baratza has the quality of some $200+ machines.

I don't have the Barazta, but I have used it, and it does a consistent grind.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts