Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for the IT department in an office, we moved into a new building that has ceiling speakers but its a mess above the drop ceiling. Some are wired in parallel, some are branching off in series...they all need to be rewired. Then I realized we have multiple model speakers, and the transformer on them has me over my head...I thought I was just going to run them all off a mono amp but this is apparently a 70V commercial audio system.

Which one of these is the better model speaker to use for music? We will only be connecting some of the office so I have extras I can swap around with to use the better speakers. So far I have found these three:
-CDK INT'L CX-801 (20W @ 8ohm)
-JBL CSS8008 (15W @ 8ohm)
-Lowell 8C10W (15W @ 8ohm)

I have two amps to use for two zones, they left us with a PA grade QSC ISA300T which has outputs for 70V and 100V. Then we have the receiver from the old office that I want to run just 3-4 ceiling speakers off in the bathrooms....I assume I will have to bypass the impedance transformers on the speakers to use them with the consumer grade receiver?

What I do not understand is how to wire the impedance transformers because they are slightly different. The Lowell transformers have a common then 1/4W, 1/2W, 1W, 2W and 4W. The CX-801 has 1.25W, 2.5W, 5W, 7.5W and also wires for 0ohm, 4ohm and 8ohm. Then the JBLs have a set for 25V, 70V and 100V. I guess the JBLs are the most universal and maybe the other two only support 1 of the 3 voltage types?

I am going to get a count on all the speakers and how many I want to use. Any help in the meantime would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts