DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for a compact dome midrange/tweeter similar to the Dynaudio MD140\2 but with slightly more extended top end response need flat response up to at least 8k hz in a small package. Needs to be no larger than ~3.5" diameter...

Any suggestions guys? It could also be a tweeter, just needs to have good midrange response between 2-10K...

Thanks! Austin

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, didn't know you could undo the faceplate....is that a total mounting diameter of 3.25"? :>)

Sounds like a plan! But then if I could fit those tweets, I might not even need the ambient planar tweets up front to handle 9K-20K hz...your ruining my plans!

Are there any other large format tweets that I can remove the faceplate on also to cut the size down to ~3-3.5"?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
yeah the cutout ie overall diameter is 3.25" and if you get the non sheilded version(like I did) they are rather shallow, like 1.5" or so

most of the large format tweeters you can take the face off with four allens, just do some research and check the cutout diameter for the diameter you are concerned with

·
Registered
524 Posts
newtitan said:
most of the large format tweeters you can take the face off with four allens, just do some research and check the cutout diameter for the diameter you are concerned with
I would love to do that with the Hiquphons. Unfortunately, they do not separate. :(

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had those in mind too......:>)

here's another quick question....when running a 3-way setup in the car, when your mids/woofers are in the door, and your dome mid is up about dash level......is it better to have the dome mid take over at ~500hz or should you let your door mid play up to about 2k hz or so, and then let the mid take over from there?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
you want the midrange to play as much as you can

so if you can do it 300 and up,

when I had mine setup

I had the door mounted

midbass from 63 to 400 @ 24db (overlapped dude to a huge differnce in midbass/midrange seperation)

dasm mounted midrange from 200 (24db slope) to 4khz

tweet from 4khz to 20khz

·
Registered
524 Posts
newtitan said:
yeah the cutout ie overall diameter is 3.25" and if you get the non sheilded version(like I did) they are rather shallow, like 1.5" or so
Mr. Newtitan, Do you know if there is a difference in sound between the shielded and nonshielded Dayton RS's? And once you take off the flange is there any other piece larger than the cutout hole?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
the shielded version has a lower fs,

shielded verison Fs: 800 Hz

non sheilded version Fs: 600 Hz

and !THEORETICALLY! they can be crossed a tad lower ( ie for tweeters the HP can be set at twice the Fs)

but other than that everything is the same

havent put em in the car yet, but in the house they are the first metal dome I can handle at high volume very smooth IMO

and no they overall diameter is the cutout diameter

·
Registered
524 Posts
newtitan said:
just unscrew the face off the dayton rs28 tweeter and mount it from behind using the same screw holes :)

What did yo mean by this? Are you suggesting using something like plumbers' strap to secure to the front, bend it behind the body, and secure it like that?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
sorta , you can do it that way to--as you can just reuse the same allen to attach a pluber tape peice to

but what im doing with mine as we speak

im using some of those screws/mounts that az grower got from mcmaster

making a ring-measuring the screw holes, then putting the screws post at that position, then im routing the hole so just the actual tweet can fit through

so all youll see is the tweeter hole once the pillar has been mounted

and glassing the mount in place

thats all, make sense?

NOTE that if you take the top ring off you lose the metal grille so you can either take it off the metal, and make it part of your pillar. or make another one of some sort

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.