DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which current subs (still in production and available in the States prefered) would compare in SQ to the Aliante or Falstaff? Please only respond if you've actually heard / used the Aliante or Falstaff.
thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you limiting yourself to shallow mounts? I ask because those are...
No, not limited to shallow. Those two are just pretty much the same sub and both have life like sound quality.
On my short list is:
Cmass 12
Dynaudio 12
Morel SC 12

I would be happy to get 90% of the Aliante 10 I had.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I think alot of it has to do with application and your listening preferences...high quality subwoofers like Dynaudio and Morel should satisfy your SQ tastes. To be honest, I think that Critical Mass is just over-hyped. I would also throw a few other subwoofers in the group, but that has been discussed many times before. Unfortunately, you probably arent going to get much feedback because no many have had/heard Aliante or Falstaff

If it makes and difference to you, I went with Dynaudio :) LOL

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I've heard the 12" Aliante Ltd once and IMO, the closest thing to it's sound is the old Utopia 33WX.
Since you need it to still be in production, I'd say the Brax Matrix 10.1 or any Utopia Be sub (8" or 12" if you need more output).

Kelvin

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've heard the 12" Aliante Ltd once and IMO, the closest thing to it's sound is the old Utopia 33WX.
Since you need it to still be in production, I'd say the Brax Matrix 10.1 or any Utopia Be sub (8" or 12" if you need more output).

Kelvin
with respect i would beg to differ ..
i own and use a 12 ltd and also own a 33wx , they have quite different presentation . the wx has a richer deeper quality where as the ltd is more focused and agile imho .. i also run a pair of aliante 10's in my daily driver that i personally prefer over the ltd or the wx ..

i think the ultimo if a fantastic driver but demands huge power and is overly expensive ..

i suggested the cdt es as its very close sound the aliante 10 and is much more user friendly as regards to power requirement and box size and also the price is much more reasonable . ...

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
i own and use a 12 ltd and also own a 33wx , they have quite different presentation . the wx has a richer deeper quality where as the ltd is more focused and agile imho .. i also run a pair of aliante 10's in my daily driver that i personally prefer over the ltd or the wx ..

i think the ultimo if a fantastic driver but demands huge power and is overly expensive ..

i suggested the cdt es as its very close sound the aliante 10 and is much more user friendly as regards to power requirement and box size and also the price is much more reasonable . ...
Since you still own both subs, then I surely would trust your opinion ;)

Instead of trying to find one that compares, why not buy one?
PHASE LINEAR ALIANTE 12 LTD ULTRA RARE (AUDISON ODR XES F1 MOREL JL DYNAUDIO) | eBay
Used and if I'm not mistaken, still not sold.

Kelvin

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Or buy the Mac Audio Version?:

Mac Audio Aliante 12 Black Limited Test Car-HiFi-Lautsprecher

http://www.hifiversand24.de/macaudioaliante12blackltd-p-1598-2.html

MacAudio Aliante 12 Black Ltd. im Auto Lautsprecher (einzeln) Preisvergleich - Gnstige Preise bei Preis.de

10' 25 cm SUB Mac AUDIO Aliante 10 black ltd. NEU 1000: Amazon.de: Elektronik

Phase Aliante 12 Limited: Amazon.de: Elektronik

We deal with various German distributors-I'll get my colleague to check and see if we can get you one/some if you wish? He's away on business atm, but can get on it when he gets back (he has all the contacts)

Also you might want to contact Achim (aka pimp my sound on here) he's a German dealer I met at a show a few years back, lovely guy, doesn't sell them but may be able to help you get one.

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
You want an honest answer from someone who used to own and regrets selling his Ali 10s? I haven't found anything that we can get here that compares.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or buy the Mac Audio Version?:

Mac Audio Aliante 12 Black Limited Test Car-HiFi-Lautsprecher

Mac Audio Aliante 12 Black Ltd. | Mac Audio | Subwoofer | Car HiFi

MacAudio Aliante 12 Black Ltd. im Auto Lautsprecher (einzeln) Preisvergleich - Gnstige Preise bei Preis.de

10' 25 cm SUB Mac AUDIO Aliante 10 black ltd. NEU 1000: Amazon.de: Elektronik

Phase Aliante 12 Limited: Amazon.de: Elektronik

We deal with various German distributors-I'll get my colleague to check and see if we can get you one/some if you wish? He's away on business atm, but can get on it when he gets back (he has all the contacts)

Also you might want to contact Achim (aka pimp my sound on here) he's a German dealer I met at a show a few years back, lovely guy, doesn't sell them but may be able to help you get one.
I would be interested in what your german distributor could get. I would be interested in one 10 or 12.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks Yuri, your Aliante's in the doors looks like a dream! I bet that sounds phenomenal. Which CDT sub would you recommend I try?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks Yuri, your Aliante's in the doors looks like a dream! I bet that sounds phenomenal. Which CDT sub would you recommend I try?
yep they do sound pretty good :D
the cdt subs to have a look at are the eurosport range qes 10-20 (10") qes 12-20 (12") ...let us know what you think of them when you get a listen ...

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
No, not limited to shallow. Those two are just pretty much the same sub and both have life like sound quality.
On my short list is:
Cmass 12
Dynaudio 12
Morel SC 12

I would be happy to get 90% of the Aliante 10 I had.
I have used the Morel SC, Falstaff, Dynaudio 12 ( not a 10" ), cmass UL 12 ( again not a 10" ) and many others

IMHO the JBl GTI MKII is in my top 5 best subs, if you have the room get it, one of the best around for SQ.

If you could mount a aliante up front in console or under dash - GREAT, in the hatch or trunk I'd pass.

Morel SC ( excellent ) you need minimum 500w, UL12 over priced and over rated, Dynaudio - they don't make a 10" in esotar2, but then again way over priced and rated.. My aliante 10 was incredible but then would not handle the power of my amp 600w at the time.

I have also used the AD subs :), Focal, CDT, DLS, and many others I'm no pro but thats what i think.

Good Luck with your search....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have used the Morel SC, Falstaff, Dynaudio 12 ( not a 10" ), cmass UL 12 ( again not a 10" ) and many others

IMHO the JBl GTI MKII is in my top 5 best subs, if you have the room get it, one of the best around for SQ.

If you could mount a aliante up front in console or under dash - GREAT, in the hatch or trunk I'd pass.

Morel SC ( excellent ) you need minimum 500w, UL12 over priced and over rated, Dynaudio - they don't make a 10" in esotar2, but then again way over priced and rated.. My aliante 10 was incredible but then would not handle the power of my amp 600w at the time.

I have also used the AD subs :), Focal, CDT, DLS, and many others I'm no pro but thats what i think.

Good Luck with your search....
Thanks for the feedback. I could try a JBl GTI MKII IB under the rear deck, but that's quite a bit of weight. Out of curiousity, what would be the other four in your top five?
I'm going to try the newish Vifa NE265 this weekend to see what I think. Have read that it is very musical...
In my previous car I had the Aliante 10 in the passenger foot well under the dash and it really, really impressed me! I had no idea that subwoofers could actually sound like recorded instruments... enlightening and it's hard to go backwards now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I owned 2 12" STI and each had QC flaws.... but they still sounded pretty good, putting them in the trunk was a waste. There is nothing I have heard that is similar to their sound (kind of like a legitimate low frequency electrostatic) they were very good at transients but a little less good at grunt. I would call the sound thin (not a lot of overtones or richness like you would find in a bass drum, or organ). All in all there isn't anything I have heard like it but they mate well with a midbass with good transient response. As for today's woofers I would say a properly installed Dynaudio 190, Alpine X, or the aforementioned JBL can be pretty incredible and I would also have to say a properly installed DD can produce bass drum like nothing else. If you have insane amounts of room some pro audio stuff (beyma comes to mind) would get you close too

edit: as I read this I sound more negative than I should, I miss them terribly they sounded great and were a dream to install

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I owned 2 12" STI and each had QC flaws.... but they still sounded pretty good, putting them in the trunk was a waste. There is nothing I have heard that is similar to their sound (kind of like a legitimate low frequency electrostatic) they were very good at transients but a little less good at grunt. I would call the sound thin (not a lot of overtones or richness like you would find in a bass drum, or organ). All in all there isn't anything I have heard like it but they mate well with a midbass with good transient response. As for today's woofers I would say a properly installed Dynaudio 190, Alpine X, or the aforementioned JBL can be pretty incredible and I would also have to say a properly installed DD can produce bass drum like nothing else. If you have insane amounts of room some pro audio stuff (beyma comes to mind) would get you close too

edit: as I read this I sound more negative than I should, I miss them terribly they sounded great and were a dream to install
Exactly,they don't have the overtones. They don't sound like a subwoofer - the 10 I had just sounded like an instrument. I bet a pro woofer would sound similar, tight and fast with impact...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts