DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Why was this a good idea at the time? Have we really come so far? Were the goals the same as far as imaging and staging? How did it sound? I understand Manville Smith has been in the industry for decades.

That's a lot of tweeters...

· Registered
38 Posts

Why was this a good idea at the time? Have we really come so far? Were the goals the same as far as imaging and staging? How did it sound? I understand Manville Smith has been in the industry for decades.

That's a lot of tweeters...
Awesome video, thank you for posting, as far as the tweeter question yes that was very much what was happening at this point in time, which I have some concerns with the dates here, the video is labeled 1994 on YouTube but the book frame dates in 1989, I personally believe that this may have been a presentation prep dry run and coaching video that was completed to prep the team for the finals- it is not the 89 finals for sure, why this matters is that at 86 to perhaps 89 staging was just starting to be a concept in the car audio scene and it was manville and Lou that change the game with lou’s fox body Mustang and the center channel that just change everything at the finals. As far as staging the idea was by placing the tweeters in the ac vents was a attempt to raise the sound stage and push the image forward, how did it sound? That car and manville produced many national champion awards so that speaks for it self and created the legend that is JL. My yes oh how some things have change and some not so much!

· Registered
38 Posts
Awesome video, thank you for posting, as far as the tweeter question yes that was very much what was happening at this point in time, which I have some concerns with the dates here, the video is labeled 1994 on YouTube but the book frame dates in 1989, I personally believe that this may have been a presentation prep dry run and coaching video that was completed to prep the team for the finals- it is not the 89 finals for sure, why this matters is that at 86 to perhaps 89 staging was just starting to be a concept in the car audio scene and it was manville and Lou that change the game with lou’s fox body Mustang and the center channel that just change everything at the finals. As far as staging the idea was by placing the tweeters in the ac vents was a attempt to raise the sound stage and push the image forward, how did it sound? That car and manville produced many national champion awards so that speaks for it self and created the legend that is JL. My yes oh how some things have change and some not so much!
For all old school fans, who do you see twisting a towel dry at the beginning of the video??? Any old farts here can name that shorts and tank top wearing guy? This is most definitely at their shop in south Florida, name that guy ?? Anyone???

· Registered
38 Posts
Gotta admire the amount of work that went into it... but I'd be willing to put money down, saying; my system with only 2 tweeters, sounds better...
Yes I would imagine that yours would, it was not to the push of knowledge and challenging of a lot ongoing ideas from the bimonthly autosound2000 newsletter and D Navone and R Clark and their engrn’s that challenge everyone to consider that less was more ( please don’t 💩☔ Me just my humble opinions) but this posted video is a treasure chest of old school and car audio history, if you notice he quickly mentions quart in the rear 5x7 locations, this is huge in car audio history, this means MB Quart has landed in south Florida and he has not changed to quart products, in support of G&S redline this was very high quality product and was In demand for many after this date and manville may not have ever Changed those out-he would have to speak to that- but I firmly believe this was shot before the vehicles were loaded on the trails to go to AZ for the 89 finals which they just won everything, I still remember them all onstage for pictures after the finals were over , those pictures were used in ads in car audio mags for years for PPI and Esoteric and JL , so much was changing so quickly in car audio at this moment in time.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
I was competing back then against guys like this on my pizza delivery income and no diyma.com

Reactions: SQ_Bronco

· Premium Member
1,039 Posts
That is a great video and thanks for sharing. I can tell you from my experience everyone at that point was still learning as car audio at that level was so new, especially to the mainstream. It was more speakers and more power was always considered better. Evolved to cheater amps and eventually ways to do it better with less equipment. As mentioned, Richard Clark's Grand National had very few speakers in his car and it sounded outstanding and imaged very well.

I went to the finals a few times as a spectator and several other large scale competitions as both a spectator and a participant. Enjoyed those times very much pulling all-nighters just to finish something up.

· Registered
740 Posts
I never got to see that car in person but I have always wondered how many tweeters were really used, or if many of them were padded down in amplitude. Most people seemed convinced they were all in use.

And kids, the part where he didn't use neodymium magnets for the grills, and used the key to open the hatch, that was just the beginning of what life was like in the medieval times.

SQ was certainly alive and worthwhile in that era, it was just overshadowed by SPL.

· Registered
462 Posts
Very impressive build, as Manville states, " the whole front stage ran off 50W x 2 @ 4 ohms " WoW.
Today, everyone is throwing as much power as they can get on a three-way. What changed, did speaker efficiency get that bad?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.