DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been a lurker for a while and decided that maybe I should change that and finally do a build.

I am a complete Novice a this. I have done your basic speaker upgrades and stereo install but thats it. I have never taken on something of this size.

Now the back story. I have a pioneer 12 in a cheap particle board enclosure, the box is breaking apart and it looks like someone ran a wood chipper in my trunk. so I figured I would make my own enclosure.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
good luck to ya (in a good way) you will find it isnt as hard as you think it might be. unless you are going to fiberglass a box that isnt a box shape haha then its trickier. i built my first box a few years ago and still love to do it. just make sure the math is right :)

edit..dont mind me haha i thought it was going to be a starting thing right now..i didnt know you had it done

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
so this was the first attempt. I used a half a 3X3 sheet of fiberglass. and wound up with a lot of air bubbles.:(

so I scrapped that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a break for a few days to rethink the whole thing. I found a tutorial on here, where they mentioned using pam to get the fiber out of the mold. I also read about using a resin that has a longer working time. I couldnt find anything around here that lasted any longer then 15 minutes.

I used 3" X 3" chunks of fiber and also some 3" X 6 " chunks over lapping them about a half inch. I found this worked really good especially with the short working time of the resin.

I still have a lot of tape to clean up and some air pockets on the back, but its not between the between the layers of fiber at least.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the encouragement and the tip about the forum. I will check them out. Hopefully tomorrow, I will be able to get some pics up with it fitted in the car, then some of the clean up too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If it curing too fast, you might want to cut down the amount of catalyst( MEPK ) a little bit. That will increase your workable time.

Also, like you discovered working with smaller peices in a smaller area helps with the project as well.....at least the few fiberglass projects I have worked on.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
the first try looks like you were using fiberglass cloth. you should always use mat for the first 2 layers.

also, rip the mat up into smallish (6"x6") peices and overlap. and cloth, if you can't get it to lay flat cut it and overlap it. in the bends. (It looks like you did this on the second try - good job)

like someone else said, you can adjust the speed at which your resin dries with different amount of MEKP.

Another trick, use smaller amount of resin at 1 time. I might mix 4X 4oz batches to cover something like that instead of trying to mix larger batches.

I rarely (read never) use batches more than 8 oz anymore. 4 or 6 oz at a time is just better.

The 2nd one is much nicer, don't worry I went thru the same process of figuring it out and wasting some materials in the process.

Something you may want to consider. Bondo brand fiberglass resin and mat is complete crap.

I tried about 4 different kinds of resin and 3-4 kinds of mat. The bondo cloth is OK.

The best mat I've had is sea-glass fiberglass mat by evercoat. It is very flexible for mat and decently thick.

For thicker mat, I got it at uscomposites, but its very hard to get it to lay flat when its thick (2 oz mat is pretty thick)

Best resin I used was uscomposites b440 hands down. Don't even mess with bondo, it's not worth it.

Something you may not have done, which I did was for every layer, I ripped up and laid the entire layer into place, and used spray glue to hold it into place.

This way I didn't have to fight peices to lay flat in the corners because I already had them laying right where they were going to be after the resin hit them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Also Im currently building an all fiber box and have three layers done with chop mat. Should i switch over to cloth or kyntex?

Any ideas on deadening the final product. I've read many things including mixing sand in liquid deadener etc

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
For $6 from UScomposites you can get a fiberglass roller, IMO its a must for fiberglassing. Its a small spiked metal roller that looks like a small paint roller. You lay your layer of mat with resin, then roll the roller over the entire thing, it will get any air bubbles out.

I prefer to start with cloth like you were using to get my first 2 layers down, IMO it lays alittle better on curves. Then I use 1.5-2oz chopped mat.

Anyways, looks like a good start

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, first of thanks for the help and tips I really appreciate it.

so I got a couple of pics of the fit for you.

Here it is fitted into the trunk. It fits great, but I will need to do some triming to get the finished product around the rear deck speaker.

you can see on the floor mat the chippings from my other box as it slowly gets blown apart.

Something you may not have done, which I did was for every layer, I ripped up and laid the entire layer into place, and used spray glue to hold it into place
Thats a great idea, I hadnt even thought about that. I used a 3M woven mat. I am also using 3M resin, an MEPK. all of this I picked up at lowes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to mention, I am planning on incorporating an amp rack into the front half of the enclosure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, I was just doing some checkin on the CU Feet I will need.

Sadly, I wont be able to go with a flat face, but that just means I get to work on my fiberglass skills some more.

right now in the current configuration, if I used a flat face, that would put me at just over a cubic foot. which will work, (according to the owners manual) but I would like to get closer to the recomended 1.5 Cu Ft I need.

The box that I am currently using is at just about 1.7 Cu Ft and sounds great so I would like to get closer to that.

·
Registered
566 Posts
you could always reverse mount the sub

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
any idea on what kinda of space requirements I would be looking at if I reverse mounted the 12? I am not really familiar with the benefits of reverse mounting.

looks like i got some googling to do.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
instead of the sub taking up room in your box, it adds volume to the box (a little bumped out part from the cone)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well guys we are looking at a two week break in the project, because of work but I will be back, and I will finish this project.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts