DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My stock BMW e36 sound has become unbearable.
Ive got around $200 that I can spend. I know its not alot to work with but thats all im letting myself spend (maybe im not the limiting factor but rather my wallet).

Things I need...
-6.5" Component Set (a bit flexible on the size)
-Subwoofer (will be able to source materials to build enclosure/baffle)
-Amplification for these things.

Im completely open to used and ebay items. The meat of the budget should go towards the components and the amp as the sub is the least important part to me And might be upgraded fairly soon. But at the same time I'd just be happy with a well rounded system.

An example setup ive come up with is...
Polk db6501 - $80 or less
MTX Thunder 4500 10" - $30
Cerwin Vega EXL400.4 - $100 or less
I would use 2 channels for the front, and then bridge the other 2 for the sub.

Also, can you enlighten me on IB and whether or not I want to do it?

Thanks in advance,
Kris

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have been looking into the IB setup myself so do some research as there is a lot on here about it. For the speakers themselves get some good components and an amplifier for them first. Make sure they are sealed good and get some bass out of them for now. Worry about the sub/amp combo for when you have more $$$ as the 200 won't go far for the other things as well. I have seen several different Focal component sets on eBay for $100 lately so that plus an amp will be the budget alone.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Actually, the plan you set out is a pretty good one to get started with.

I would personally look into the PG RSD or Cadence components in place of the Polk DB's. The amp is still a killer deal at 100 bucks, but you can look around and find out why... ARC, hello...

As to the sub, the 4500 will probably work fine. If you want to save a bit of space, or even double up, there are some Polk DB subs on sale at Amazon, 8" subs for 25 bucks per

·
Registered
220 Posts
Agree with post to take care of frontstage first and then sub. I put in the Cadence comps and a cheap ($79) Cadence 4 channel amp this winter and have been happy so far. The amp is 60X4 which I have bridged to the comps now (200x2).

This summer I am planning on a spare tire sub enclosure with the Exile 10" slim sub, I will use 2 channels of the amp to the comps and bridge the other 2 to the sub.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
are the rsd actually better than the polk db? I knew the rsd's were good for their price, I just wasnt sure how good.The rsd65cs I can get for $60 ... and I can get the db6501 for about $70. Which is better?

And the mtx vs polk db subs... will the loss of 2 inches sacrifice much bass? (Also, I cant seem to find them for $25?)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 8's have more cone area then a single 10"

I do think that you have a good idea to start with, the db series speakers are good for the money, I would say that they are just as good as the RSD components, either one should work out well, but I havent seen the DB's for $80
Thats why im looking at used. :)

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Since peeps are digging around for comps cheep, I throw in my vote for my Infinity Refs! Represent! :cool:

·
Banned
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
How would that amp compare to the exl400.4?
especially since the exl is rated for 60w RMS @4ohm

EDIT... Just won the Polk db6501 for $70.75 shipped :)

Now i can pick up a matching 6x9 rear set for $50ish and it ends in a few mins. Would want to do this instead of the sub for now?

EDIT2... nvm on the rears,they just ended.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
SPECS:

MTX Thunder 4500 T4510-04 - car subwoofer driver
Speaker System
Speaker Type Passive
Speaker Diameter 10"
Nominal (RMS) Output Power 225 Watt
Response Bandwidth 35 - 150 Hz
Input Impedance 4 Ohm
Recommended Amplifier Power 112.5 - 225 Watt
Sensitivity 90.7 dB
Magnet Type Strontium ferrite
Connectivity Technology Wired
----------------------------------
KICKER
Model C12d
Size 12
Impedance 8 or 4 (ohms)
Maximum Power (watts)* 400
Sensitivity 89.0 (dB 1w/1m)
Frequency Response (Hz) 25-500
---------------------------------

My opinion based on specs. They are similar in class but a 12" sub with similar specs will usually move more air. I'll put my bet on the 12" Kicker being the better pick here.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts