DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Just wanted some opinions on the below sets. I'll have 80 Watts rms for each side. I have a single cab truck. The mids will be mounted in the door with the tweeters up higher. I can get the alpine or Boston for $75-$100 used or get the morels new for $129.

Alpine type r spr-17s
Boston sc60
Morel maximo

Thanks,
Cody

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If you can get a demo from all three and decide.
If your just looking for opinions go with the maximos.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Ok well first off the alpines tweeter is HORRIBLE very harsh but the midbass is great.
The bostons are just sound kinda thin their detail is very good but they just dont sound full if you no what i mean.
The maximos are really good for the money. Great starter set.
Ive had all three in the past year and a half.
All in dodge avenger mounted in a fully deadened and as sealed as could get doors.
Ive got these DLS Reference RM6.2 (RM 6.2) 6-1/2" 2-way Component System right now though and love them.
Midbass is outstanding with a very laided back but detaild tweet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
+1 to the Bostons sounding thin. I heard them on a soundboard, a bad listening environment, but they were noticeably thinner compared to the other comps on the board.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have had SPR-17S speakers in my car. Not a bad set for the money. I would disagree about tweeter being harsh. My tweeters were in sails and sounded ok at 0db setting. If you experience harshness, try to rotate tweeters off axis, but I thought it was unnecessary. There is decent amount of detail without harshness. They sound similar to Seas neo tweeters. Switch to -3db and treble detail certainly takes a hit. For the money, it was an enjoyable set, but with its flaws as expected in this price range. I liked the powerful midrange and also midbass sensitivity. Imaging was decent with with time alignment applied to passive set. My biggest gripe about these speakers was that their bass is misbehaved. Midbass sensitivity is very good, and you can hear some good bass notes. But the mids lose their composure when drums hit very hard. A kind of a hollow, harsh sound. There was no way to fix it without bumping crossover up to like 100Hz or more. I have upgraded to Hybrid Audio Imagine speakers running bi-amp mode, and they're better in any respect, and I am not looking back at these or forward to upgrading to anything else in this car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I think I've narrowed it down to the Alpines and Morels. Also found out my buddy will sell the Alpines for $60. So I need to decide if the Morels are worth twice as much, but would also be new.

Cody

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts