DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When there are no specifics given (massive rk6) then what are the power ratings for. Does 250rms mean per side, or per set? Heeeeeeelp!

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Custom Trail Boss Crew Cab
1,970 Posts
I can't speak on the Massives but I can say that the ratings vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I have seen some say per side and some say total. All I can say is read read and read some more from more then one site when looking for the specs of any item. I wish they all would just list the per side ratings as a standard.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I can't think of any speaker sets that give a total power rating. It's per side for components, so the Massive Audio rating of 250W RMS on the RK6 components means you want an amp that does 250x2 at 4 Ohms if matching power is your thing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, well thats good news. My Memphis four channel does 230 x 2 @ 4

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I can't think of any speaker sets that give a total power rating. It's per side for components, so the Massive Audio rating of 250W RMS on the RK6 components means you want an amp that does 250x2 at 4 Ohms if matching power is your thing.
It states 120 watts rms per side. Still quite a bit of power considering that most ratings should be for the full response stated. Crossing upwards should increase mechanical limits though thermal will still be the same.

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Custom Trail Boss Crew Cab
1,970 Posts
Sonic has them right here Massive Audio RK 6 (RK6) 6.5" 2-Way RK Series Component Speakers.
The memphis bridged still doesnt sound like a bad idea though,
On the desription it actually states both per set and per side numbers as seen in the quote below. It is because of listings/descriptions like this one that I said to READ READ READ more then one site so that you can have a better chance of verifying the specs.

There is still the possibility of the manufacturer having incorrect specs listed on their site and their literature so keep that in mind. For example Polk Audio MM series DVC subs for some reason have their specs listed as the same as the DB series subs. This is both on Polks website and in the owners manuals. On the MM 10" DVC box sitting next to me it states the same specs as the SVC models while the MM 8 DVC box has the DB series specs. In this case you just have to use your best judgement and again read read and read some more.
sonicelectronicx said:
6-1/2" R Series 2-Way Car Speaker Component System
Power Handling:
  • Peak: 1000 watts per set / 500 watts each side
  • RMS: 240 watts per set / 120 watts each side

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
250 watts per side would sound somewhat ridiculous given to a component set ( 2 way ). There would be a high probability of frying the tweeters first, then ultimately the crossovers & mids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts