DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, the system I am running is entirely Rockford Fosgate, the corners are R165X3 and I have a P3D2 12 inch 600-Watt RMS sub hooked up to a 500-watt amp all connected to a pioneer xav-ax5500 head unit. Recently the amp would ground protect if the bass went too high, and would disable playing bass and rather play a rhythmic amount of bass, every 3 or so seconds would play the correct bass and then ground protect again, so I took the sub out of the box to inspect the connectors. All seemed fine so I reinstalled it, and now only the subwoofer plays audio and the components don't play any audio. It would occasionally fix after I hit major bumps but now completely refuses to play. I checked leads on the components to make sure it wasn't grounding somewhere, disconnected each individual component speaker and tested the system and still nothing. I had a new channel ran to my front left door by an audio shop and they screwed that up and I had a feeling it may have been the channel they ran grounding so I went to the harness and snipped the wires running to the channel they fed to see if that grounded somewhere, still nothing. Anyone have any diagnostic ideas?
Sorry for the long post, I guess I should have said long story long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I meant to post this in the technical chat, if this is the wrong question for this forum I apologize, I do not know where to look, the only local store nearby completely messed up the install of the system the first time and I thought it'd be better to ask on here at this point.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Check your wiring. Start with the power -- make sure all connections are snug (it is not sufficient to just check the side that plugs into your amp), the wire is sized correctly and a suitable ground has been done. If you got a possibly bad speaker wire setup, check those too. If you're not sure what your speaker wire is doing, check that it's not shorted to chassis anywhere and when a multimeter is set to DC Ohms, the resistance at the end of the wire should be almost the same as the resistance at the speaker terminals, which should be same measurement as RE in your speakers T/S parameters.

The forums here should already have the relevant info for you to dig up when you go searching.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts