DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, I would like to say thanks to the forum for the heap of info! I have been reading up on here for days looking for good components and amp that meet my budget. As you will see, I'm a big time newb when it comes to car audio! Anyway, here we go..

Equipment:

Cadence CWM6KIT component set

Kicker KX600.4 amp

Pioneer DEH-P6600 HU

Adire Shiva sub

Problem: Just got the components and amp wired up today. I'm using channels 3&4 bridged for the sub, and it sounds great. But when I went to tune my components, I started getting problems. At lower volumes the speakers are making a faint (but clearly audible) hissing/screech sound. When I crank the volume, the midbass sounds like its breaking up, then all of a sudden it makes a very loud constant screeching sound. Also makes a pop when I turned it off.

Unfortunately, the midbass on the right side doesn't seem to be working now :(, as in, it doesn't do anything. No sound at all. I read that a blown speaker will make sound, but sound really bad. Hopefully mine is fixable.

So what the heck is going on? I checked my wiring, all + go to +, and same with -. I did take the HU off to install RCA's for the components, so could I have messed up something then? I switched everything around on the amp to see if the components would work on channel 3&4, but got the same problem.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
take the RCAs off the amp and put an mp3/phone on it to see if the amp is causing it or the HU. if the weird noise goes away, you have your answer ;)

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
take the RCAs off the amp and put an mp3/phone on it to see if the amp is causing it or the HU. if the weird noise goes away, you have your answer ;)

This...

I would start by just removing the RCAs..

If the problem goes away, then you know it's forward of the amp... if not, then amp or speakers...

You can also try removing the speaker wire from the amp, for the speaker that DOESN'T work, see if the other works better... Or vice versa.. remove the wire from the amp for the speaker that "kinda" works and see if the one that doesn't starts working... you could have a pinched/shorted speaker wire or bad speaker or connection... removing the wire (just one to open the circuit) will quickly show you which direction to take..

Remove the sub till you figure it out...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have found out that some of your newer Pioneer head units RCA's aren't grounded to well. After talking with some tech from Pioneer they suggested to wrap some speaker wire in a figure 8 pattern to ground them better. As dumb as that sounds it worked for me.

Another thing check your gains. Also, ran into some issues where gains were not high enough. And can be if there are set to high.

recommendations: ditch the pioneer!

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
I have found out that some of your newer Pioneer head units RCA's aren't grounded to well. After talking with some tech from Pioneer they suggested to wrap some speaker wire in a figure 8 pattern to ground them better. As dumb as that sounds it worked for me.

recommendations: ditch the pioneer!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Guys, don't forget what comps he is using. The bad reviews seem to outnumber the good ones. Yes, do all the mentioned diagnostic steps. But those speakers have known qc issues as well. As far as the non working mid, pull it and check the wiring. I've had two sets, and both of them had broken tinsel leads, had to re-solder them, and iirc, another guy had the same issue

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the speaker wire wrap, problem solved!

Guys, don't forget what comps he is using. The bad reviews seem to outnumber the good ones. Yes, do all the mentioned diagnostic steps. But those speakers have known qc issues as well. As far as the non working mid, pull it and check the wiring. I've had two sets, and both of them had broken tinsel leads, had to re-solder them, and iirc, another guy had the same issue
Got the mid working, it was exactly what you said, the tinsel lead was broken. It was a PITA to solder it, being so small.

Big thanks to everyone who replied! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
oh wow I just bought a new pioneer headunit I hope I dont have to do the stupid figure eight ground method to the RCA's :laugh: thats weirdo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts