DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

821 - 840 of 1044 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Re: Comprehensive Review: " APL1 " - Advanced DSP / EQ / Phase Correction Unit

Yup....that's it! A nice bonus is the included software to generate custom target curves which can be applied directly over the correction curves as well. It all works together quite nicely.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Comprehensive Review: " APL1 " - Advanced DSP / EQ / Phase Correction Unit

Yeah makes me think also Raimonds has some world-class algorithms going on, comparing the two sides for phase coherence possibly at each sample point in space maybe, as time and phase between sides will be different at each point in space where the mic is at that time. Since response between like drivers and between sides in crossover regions playing together will vary because of time domain. Then I get a headache. LOL! Pretty brilliant stuff. Wish I had one to play with. Not going to happen though I'm afraid. Position got eliminated so I'm free-agent for a while. No extraneous spending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of phases average too since it's all sweeps, it would be a miss to not use them.
I know it's 400+ measurements, so impossible to correlate phase to a specific position, but maybe there's a special way to sort/filter them, to extract useful phase information for a better filter?
Not per mic positions obviously but overall, like a way to detect worst responses and not correct or less correct around these.
Thus the need for a good pre-tune around crossover, without holes in the spfr.

But yes, "better correlation" with what I heard was definitly the big improvment.
Helped a lot.

·
Registered
187 Posts

How about we dispense with the "I'll bet" and the "probably" and the the "I wouldn't be surprised" talk about what things are?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

How about we dispense with the "I'll bet" and the "probably" and the the "I wouldn't be surprised" talk about what things are?
I can speak to specifics about the results of the unit and softwares effect on the sound in my system, but I'm afraid the details of how it arrives at this point is unknown to me. To me it seems Raimond's approach is simply an improvement on the typical tools for measuring the response of our systems, or maybe his algorithms are just an improvement on the reading of said response, vs my own, to arrive at a levels of cohesion between drivers that I had never achieved through more conventional processes. The strongest attribute for me is the efficiency his method achieves in the simplification of the process, and the consistency of the results, neither an easily attainable goal using any other method I'm aware of......although not saying it doesent exist......

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

To get the ins and outs of Raimonds proprietary (and patented, I believe) processes, I'm afraid mr. W, you will likely have to speak to the man directly........

·
Registered
187 Posts

So you only want Raymonds' answer?
Not necessarily. I just think that the facts are much more useful than conjecture.

I also gather, from the response here, that the results are often pleasing. That's good. Repeatability is one measure of the quality of an automated process.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Not necessarily. I just think that the facts are much more useful than conjecture.

I also gather, from the response here, that the results are often pleasing. That's good. Repeatability is one measure of the quality of an automated process.
Unfortunately, Raimonds doesn't give out too much information about how it processes the data. Maybe he would in a more private conversation?

I've used it in a couple cars now and it works quite wonderfully. The learning curve was steep, as I'm sure you saw, but now that I know what I'm doing, tuning is very fast and consistent.

·
Registered
17,768 Posts

The learning curve was steep, as I'm sure you saw, but now that I know what I'm doing, tuning is very fast and consistent.
i have mine coming in about a week. after looking at the software and even trying to follow the guide word for word, im probably still going to need help

·
Registered
17,768 Posts

Hi,
It is possible to offer support for any stage of work with APL tools for any place in the world. Thanks to TeamViewer and Skype!
Please use such chance!
BR,
Raimonds
My tuning laptop is probably to slow for team viewer but maybe we can do a demo on my desktop?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,553 Posts

i have mine coming in about a week. after looking at the software and even trying to follow the guide word for word, im probably still going to need help

Give me a call before you install or run setup on anything. Including where you drop the files to that Raimonds sends you.

·
Registered
17,768 Posts

Give me a call before you install or run setup on anything. Including where you drop the files to that Raimonds sends you.
Already installed to a usb stick

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
http://*****aplaudio*****/
122 Posts

Hello Friends,

Some time ago I mentioned that it is very tricky to use FIRs to create a multi way system – to create a crossover.
Here is a solution – the software called C5.
The software is offering all the necessary management to operate the multi way system.
It allows to exploit a power of FIR to create an ideal crossover. Why ideal?
Because it incorporates correction for each particular band/way.

Take a look on some screen shoots and results.
The system „under test” was large PA with some bands already with acoustic filters (band pass). It is almost impossible to tune ordinary dsp for work with such system.
But the use of correction on each particular band allows to use very delicate crossover (LR24), get very low crossover’s group delay, as result, and possibility to correct it by sacrificing only 12 ms of latency.
APL has idea to create a 10 channel unit for DSP use – 4 channels with 8192 taps,6 channels with 4096 taps. For use as 5 way DSP or 4 way DSP with master EQ on its input.

Please vote, is such unit necessary or not?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

Wow, that’s the graal here, would be really great!
I was about to ask about flexibility in taps allocation but it’s so many taps it’s probably not needed.
Can you share the software process a bit?

·
Registered
865 Posts

So this would be a DSP/APL "all in one" solution?!

Ironically I was thinking to myself the other day when Gotfrogs posted...

How cool it would be to see an Audiofrog dsp / APL collaboration, that would be awesome!

Now this. :)

821 - 840 of 1044 Posts