DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Concave A-Pillar

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  datooff 
#1 ·
How is this concave surface created? Does anybody know of videos or tutorials for fabricating?
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive design

See less See more
#3 ·

Post #842 - you can see how my waveguide/concave area were formed and shaped

#5 ·
Foam you can dissolve after with a little acetone.
This is a valuable trick and it is also used when making concrete sinks to leave an overflow port. Making the full concave shape in foam and then covering it could make a hard job easier. Put aluminum tape and mold release on it if you’re able to remove the foam from the fiberglass without using a noxious chemical such as acetone.

#10 · (Edited)
post number 18
Alfa 147 SQ build- Pioneer, Brax, JBL GTI, HAt Se, Crown | DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum

From a durability standpoint best way is to make them this way with fiberglass,.... When doing this kind of shapes only with filler, some cracks may accour on transition from ABS pillar to that dented/concave part, so it is wise to lay at least one layer fiberglass mat over that part to prevent filler cracking

You can do it really fast when you make shape out of ALU tape instead you waste time with cardboard templates.

#11 ·
Question for you. When you are forming your templates out of the the aluminium tape, are you just using multiple layer of the tape to give it rigidity? I see sometime you cut up cardboard also, but I'm assuming that is purely to get the shape cut out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.