DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
those outputs are there for convenience only. internally they are wired parallel.

from your pic, you will get 1 ohm out of that.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer WiringWizard

You can confirm by checking resistance with a multimeter on the speakers.
just remember that most 4ohm speakers have a DC resistance of closer to 3.7, so it will be slightly less than 1 ohm. you also need to make sure you zero out your test leads. I know my test leads at home have like 2 ohms of resistance all by themselves.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok cool, I'm good to go then. Thanks guys for the quick answers. Now I just need to baby these subs and break them in.

My plan is that I'll have them in a sealed box until I get my ported one built. I plan on keeping gains way down and playing a variety of music through it daily, and once a day let it cycle through some test tones, maybe like a very slow sweep from 25hz to 100hz, a sweep that would last for a couple minutes and play it on repeat several times at low volume. And then turn up the gains ever so slightly every 3-4 days.

Michael at Audioque suggested using full power but varying tones to break subs in, though I didn't end up getting AQ's because of the long delays. He suggested finding, using tones, the frequency at which excursion is maxed, then back it off 1-2 hz and then play that tone for a while (an hour or so, or longer if practical). Then as the suspension loosens up, you'll find that the max excursion frequency will change, so you keep finding it and playing a tone just short of max excursion. Anyone have any thoughts on that method?

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
I have heard of people that just break em in freeair. play a tone at wattage that will nearly max out the suspension for 12 hours or so.. changing tone doesnt really matter if all you are wanting to do is loosen the suspension up a bit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard of people that just break em in freeair. play a tone at wattage that will nearly max out the suspension for 12 hours or so.. changing tone doesnt really matter if all you are wanting to do is loosen the suspension up a bit.
I would do that if I had a house with a garage or a shed or something. I started a new thread for sub break-in methods, I think it deserves its own thread. I'll ask a mod to close this thread, so we don't have two threads that end up being about breaking in subs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts