DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently replaced my stock HU so I could hook up my new front component speaker with a 2 channel amp. I already had a mono amp and sub in my car that I cant get to work with the new HU (it's a Pioneer fh p8000 bt). I am somewhat sure everything is wired correctly (the comps do work just not the sub) and I think I have all of the HU setting correct for subwoofer output according to the manual. The sub's amp is on and everything but I might be overlooking something. I am looking for any troubleshooting advice or maybe somebody has experience with my HU. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
How is the sub amp wired to the HU? If the HU has a sub out RCA then you RCA that direct to the sub amp and set the gain, but also the HU usually has a level in it to set and some can turn it on/off. You can use the HU to set the xover instead of the amp.

If you had a stock HU before then its likely wired off the speaker wires into the high power input of the amp with wires and not using the RCA, some amps (like MTX) can take speaker wire into the RCA with a wired RCA plug that comes with them, or it has a LOC that turns the speaker wire into an RCA signal for the amp.

I'd recommend you use only RCA if the HU has RCA for the high side amp and another set for sub amp, get rid of the LOC and/or any speaker wires to the amps used with the stock HU. Then figure out all the settings in the new HU and get them set right, it will work much nicer.

If you happen to be talking about a stock sub amp and sub, one that came factory, well that is a different story and may take different way to hook that up and may not work that well hard to say.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I didn't provide enough detail. The sub is wired using the SW pre outs from the HU which has pre outs for front, rear and SW. The stock HU that I used to have has SW pre outs that I was using. My problem is that I don't think my HU is outputting to the sub. The HU is set to output to a sub so I just don't know what is not working.

·
Registered
84 Posts
RTFM and turn the subwoofer channel on.

I had the same issue yesrterday. Spent half the morning installing amp/components/sub (thanks Santa) and after I popped the fuse and and started her up... no bass.

Turns out that the Pioneer 4300DVD came with the subwoofer turned "off", couple of menu screens later I was good to go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Swap RCAs from the two channel to the mono amp and see if there's a signal. That way you can narrow down where the issue is.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Right, swap it and see what happens. My HU has a sub level and an on/off and the xover for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts