DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the sound of my frontstage but have been strongly considering adding a mid to my a-pillars in my E39. I'm running Scanspeak Illuminator rings and Dyn MW160s in the doors. Considering making it a 3-way and using my Dyns as midbass. I've been doing a little research and here's what I've come up with... suggestions would be helpful! Not trying to break the bank... trying to make this transition as cost effective as possible.

Tang Band 3" Bamboo
Hertz HL70.4 3"
Dayton RS75 3"
Vifa NE65W-04 2"
Tang Band W3-1335SB 3" Titanium Cone Driver

These are just a few choices I'm looking at. I'd love to utilize some 12m drivers but just can't swing it. These are just a few options I've looked into. I'm also open to dome mids but haven't heard much feedback on their sound.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
CTD 2" dome mid/tweet?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've also been considering Dyn 2" midranges if I can find em cheap enough.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I haven't heard them... How do they sound? I have a CDT Eurosport 3-way in my truck that sounded great. hmm, interesting suggestion.
havent heard em either. but they look interesting. only $150 too.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
If that TB you listed is the extended range driver, go for it. I'm about to throw a pair on my dash. I talked to partsexpress tech today, and no enclosure is needed if playing them down to 200Hz.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm working on a set of 10f Scans... Opinions on these? comparisons? I would LOVE to have some 12m drivers but people in hell want icewater.

·
18,683 Posts
how about the scanspeak 10f
End thread.

Seriously, if you can cross around 400hz these are absolutely a great option for 3 way. They have great upper end extension and are actually pretty small which should allow you to mount a tweeter near it, depending on size, rather than away from it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
End thread.

Seriously, if you can cross around 400hz these are absolutely a great option for 3 way. They have great upper end extension and are actually pretty small which should allow you to mount a tweeter near it, depending on size, rather than away from it.
Yep... they do seem pretty small. I'll be using my Scan R3004/60-2000 rings with them. I'll be using a Dyn MW160 midbass in the doors.. you think i can cross at 400? I'm using an MS8 btw.

·
18,683 Posts
Yep... they do seem pretty small. I'll be using my Scan R3004/60-2000 rings with them.
Okay. Well, there you go. :)

On or off axis?

Check Zaph's blog. He's tested the 10f extensively. Mark K has as well. Bottom line, it's hard to beat at it's price BUT neo is making drivers cost more now. This time last year I got the 10f set for $50 cheaper than it is now. All due to rising costs of neo.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay. Well, there you go. :)

On or off axis?

Check Zaph's blog. He's tested the 10f extensively. Mark K has as well. Bottom line, it's hard to beat at it's price BUT neo is making drivers cost more now. This time last year I got the 10f set for $50 cheaper than it is now. All due to rising costs of neo.
The Rings need to be as close to on axis as i can get them... was thinking of on axis pods for the mids and tweets... with the tweets on top.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts