DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am need in of a new component set and I have been looking into getting the Pioneer TS-C720PRS set. From the reviews I have read on them they seem like they would suit my taste very well. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on them is that I have heard some people say that they are somewhat limited in output. The specs on pioneer's website seem to indicate some truth to this from the somewhat low sensitivity and low power handling. While I don't need ear bleeding levels I do enjoy my music fairly loud sometimes. I was wondering if people using them have had much of an issue with this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would still consider them, they are supposed to have good midbass and 88db 1w/1m isn't too bad. I actually plan on ordering a pair (or the D720C if I cheap out...) It isn't easy to find a set that is more efficient and gets comparable comments about the midbass output. woofersetc has JBL C608GTi MkII 6.5 comps for a little bit more money, slightly more efficient, and much higher power handing, but I haven't come accross any reviews. There aren't too many sets that are a lot more efficient than 88db, have good midbass, are inexpensive, and handle a lot of power.

Just remember that people here are hardcore; what sounds okay/not-very-loud to them might sound amazing to you and blow your eardrums out. Try to listen in person.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think I am going to give them a shot. If I dont like them I could always sell them to someone else. At that price they are hard to pass up.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Contrary to listed specs, the 720PRS love some power. Don't be afraid to feed it to them. ;) I found them to get plenty loud for my tastes, and my tastes are "loud" (see sig). :cool: I just picked up a BNIB set of Polk SR6500 and ordered another set of 720PRS and am going to try and find a 3rd set of something this week to hopefully do an A/B/C comparison.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Im feeding mine 250 watts per side. I feel that they are lacking in output in my install, because its in a 2003 mustang cobra convertible, a very loud environment to begin with. I have found the mechanical limit of the mid once or twice. Overall, they sound good, but Im not happy with the output

·
Registered
8 Posts
Contrary to listed specs, the 720PRS love some power. Don't be afraid to feed it to them. ;) I found them to get plenty loud for my tastes, and my tastes are "loud" (see sig). :cool: I just picked up a BNIB set of Polk SR6500 and ordered another set of 720PRS and am going to try and find a 3rd set of something this week to hopefully do an A/B/C comparison.
looking forward to your results as those are 2 of the speakers I am trying to make up my mind about (well the mm6501 to be exact > but close enough)

should have read more carefully just noticed you said SR not MM guess theres a huge diff

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I had both sets, the prs can definately handle the power.......personally I prefer the jbl's over the prs.....I did not get a chance to run the prs active though. People tend to have an endless hard-on for the prs and they were ok for me, the jbl was not neccessarily better over all. They both had there pros and cons. As beefy as the mids are on the prs the jbls were insane. Many people consider the jbls muddy in the midrange section but I did not have that problem. I hated both tweeters and xovers. I think a great source and clean strong power and they are great. I also would put the kicker ss65.2 in the mix. Not as much low end but felt the tweeter was leaps and bounds over the other 2. Just my 2cents. good luck! let us know what you get and how you like them!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I bought my set of 720PRS from Mike :D

I love em and can't wait to feed em some more power. I am running active off of my Belle at the moment, 75 to both tweets and mids. I will be installing a PPI PC6600.2 soon :D Then it will be 200 to the mids. Should wake them up nicely :) Might even induce said "hard-on" :D

Lots of great speakers to choose from out there though. These are just one of them.

Jman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts