DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had absolutely no experience with shallow subs but I am considering them to save space. Could I get some opinions on each of these subs. Also, I would love to know how they compare as far as build quality and most importantly sound quality. Thanks.

Alpine Type-R Slim
Memphis Reference Shallow
Diamond Audio S104 Shallow
MB Quart RLP254 Shallow
Cerwin Vega Stealth Slim

P.S. I have already eliminated the JL TW5. I have heard this sub and in my opinion the SQ is not up to par with the $600 price tag.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have used both and think they are decent subs compared to others and the best shallows
I use the Mtx now because I don't get the alpines for a good price.
Both have very good extension and also attack and decay.
I recently used an Mtx 12, in a "JL" guys car and he was very impressed
Couldn't fit his old 12w6 in the pocket of his new car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used both and think they are decent subs compared to others and the best shallows
I use the Mtx now because I don't get the alpines for a good price.
Both have very good extension and also attack and decay.
I recently used an Mtx 12, in a "JL" guys car and he was very impressed
Couldn't fit his old 12w6 in the pocket of his new car.
I will definitely take a look at the Mtx then. Does anyone else have an opinion on the subs that I have listed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got a pair of the Memphis Reference 12's sitting in my extra bedroom right now. I am going to be building a box and installing the rest of my system next Monday/Tuesday, so after that I can give you an idea of how they perform.

From past experience with Memphis subs (regular ones - not the shallow) I can tell you they will take a ton of power and sound good while doing it. Almost all of the Memphis subs that I installed never came back with failures (the failures usually happened around the same time the customer cranked the gain, sub output, bass, etc). I know of a guy who has been pounding the same two Memphis 15's in the back of his bug for 6+ years.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a pair of the Memphis Reference 12's sitting in my extra bedroom right now. I am going to be building a box and installing the rest of my system next Monday/Tuesday, so after that I can give you an idea of how they perform.

From past experience with Memphis subs (regular ones - not the shallow) I can tell you they will take a ton of power and sound good while doing it. Almost all of the Memphis subs that I installed never came back with failures (the failures usually happened around the same time the customer cranked the gain, sub output, bass, etc). I know of a guy who has been pounding the same two Memphis 15's in the back of his bug for 6+ years.
I have owned Memphis in the past. I owned some of their older M series. I never had a problem with them and I thought they sounded great. I just havent heard any Memphis subs in a while so I dont know how these will be

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have heard the memphis and pioneer models and run both in vehicles and for my money the mephis kicks arse hands down its a great basser and still has great essquess and i have also seen a mate do 140db in a 1cube sealed box with 1 S class 12" or reference or whaeva they are called now of a 1000w mono from the memphis pr range it was sheer wanging was quite cool but we use them in a few utes over here (like the pontiac g8 but a pickup so very little room behind seats) and they are super poular good sound quite loud and fairly cheap and i havent really seen one blow yet

Ren
xMplar

·
Registered
11 Posts
+1 on Memphis. Heard them a couple weeks ago. They pound for shallow. If I was in the market, I'd def give them a listen.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
+2 on the Memphis. The time I heard them and for the price and output sound very good. To get louded the shop told me they do go in a larger box than factory specs, but they can surprise you for a slim

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
These are some nice subs too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have heard the memphis and pioneer models and run both in vehicles and for my money the mephis kicks arse hands down its a great basser and still has great essquess and i have also seen a mate do 140db in a 1cube sealed box with 1 S class 12" or reference or whaeva they are called now of a 1000w mono from the memphis pr range it was sheer wanging was quite cool but we use them in a few utes over here (like the pontiac g8 but a pickup so very little room behind seats) and they are super poular good sound quite loud and fairly cheap and i havent really seen one blow yet

Ren
xMplar
Thanks for the post. For some reason I have noticed that a lot of people don't care for Memphis as a whole. They get very inconsistent reviews. Granted I have only owned 1 pair of 10's in the past but I loved them. At the time I just wanted something different.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
+1 on Memphis. Heard them a couple weeks ago. They pound for shallow. If I was in the market, I'd def give them a listen.
Thanks for the reply. How was the SQ? I am more interested in SQ than SPL at the moment. Obviously you aren't going to run a SPL system with a couple of shallows.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone have any opinions about the Diamond, MB Quart, or Cerwin Vega? I have not seen anyone comment on them. They look very interesting.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have had good results with the alpine
And the Mtx (not on your list)
I have a Mtx 10, that's sitting around

^^

x2 on the MTX!!! The really are some great subs for the money. Mr. Audible Physics compared them in sound to some of the best shallow mount subs ever made: SI, Phase Linear, Phass Aliante, and and others. They took me to a GA State Championship.;)

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
^^

x2 on the MTX!!! The really are some great subs for the money. Mr. Audible Physics compared them in sound to some of the best shallow mount subs ever made: SI, Phase Linear, Phass Aliante, and and others. They took me to a GA State Championship.;)
Correction, Phass did not make the Aliante subwoofer. The Aliante was originally made by Phase Linear, and a later version was made my Mac Audio in Germany called the "Black Limited."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts