DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the brink of purchasing an alarm/remote starter for a newer GM diesel. I've been looking at the Clifford 50.7x and the Astrostart RSS5225, and both seem to do what I want as far as being able to tap the "wait to start" light (vs. a timer), integrating into the factory system, and having decent 2-way range.

Are there any pros/cons about either of these units? How about ease of installation (I'll be installing it myself)? I understand there's additional component(s) necessary for integration with the GM Passlock system... Anybody have pointers on that?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
What does the key look like, and does it have an OEM alarm? Is there a transponder light on the dash somewhere?

Some of the late model diesels don't actually need a bypass, especially if they are 2500s and higher. Wrap your key with tinfoil, and try to start it. If it wont turn over, or shuts off immediately, you need a bypass.

Remote Car Starter & Keyless Entry Systems is a good resource for the DIY alarm/starter crowd, but it can still be daunting if you're not comfortable working with ignition systems. If you take your time and double check (test) everything twice, you should be fine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Truck has a factory security system with a 3-button key fob (lock, unlock, and panic).
Key looks like a typical plastic-coated key (thin, no visible chips or bumps that may house a chip or transponder). However, there is a flashing light on the dash at startup that indicates "security system is activated".

Truck is a 3500 (Classic), and I think I read somewhere that if the lights flash and horn sounds when arming/disarming, then a bypass is not needed. Can you shed any light on that?

On edit: Truck starts and can be driven with foil-wrapped key (key fob was left in my office when I went out to the truck). I take it that means I don't need a bypass module.

Thanks for the link... I'll be sure to peruse that site thoroughly!

·
Registered
148 Posts
i believe that their both from DEI. so install should be pretty much the same... as for the diesel, most remote starters have a programmable feature as a "wait to start" instead of having to directly wire to the glow plug... much quicker and easier. as for the bypass... it can go either or.,.. i use to do remote starts and other accessories for a ford dealership and the majority of their heavy duty and e-series didnt need one except for the newer ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts