DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have alot of time to design crossovers, build new enclosures, even to use the system but I do like to play around abit here and there. Eventually I plan on owning Edgarhorns and tube amps but that is down the road a few years when my son takes over the business.

That said we just bought a used Marantz SR8000 AV reciever, my last unit was an SR5000 and quite frankly the thing blew me away by how good it sounded. This unit is great as well but I am looking at modifying it for bi amp capability. It has a sort of work around now if I want to use the DAC in my DVD player but it is not the best in the world, not really bad but the Marantz is far better, pretty dang fine sounding really.

Why biamp? Because my son has taken quite an interest in speaker building but I do not want to get all tied up in designing passive crossovers as costly, very time consuming, etc, he can learn that on his own later and cannot afford it now anyway, I am not footing the bill when we have more important business to attend to either.

Here is my idea, I am looking for a schematic but I can do it without if needed, modify the signal path by taking the analog output from the DAC, probably before the gain control stage, routing to an outboard active crossover, routing back in to the front and rear channel amps we can can run a biamped front stage. I never use the rear channels, never had a room where they would actuall work properly anyway. The amp has 110 watts per channel of really clean power so more than enough for home audio.

The unit does have preouts and pre inputs which makes things a bit simpler hopefully.

The idea is to then play with different drivers in a couple of different enclosures, buy used or lower cost highly rated units, etc and have an easy to run little hobby for my son with very little cash outlay over time, buying and selling drivers does not end up costing a huge amount of money or take alot of time.

We have a NIB second set of LCY110's right now we would love to pair up with some different mids to check out, having a fully adjustable active crossover would make this so easy and fun:)

On a side note we have a pair of folded Voite towers we build, Doc Edgar designed, for ID CX's, we are going to figure out the math and see what mids we can mount in them for starters, these are really nice baltic birch enclosures my son and I built for his senior project, now time to play with other drivers a bit:)

Questions:

Pros, cons, remarks are all welcome

Link to a service manual is as well, it came with one but it was for a much older stereo reciever with the same model number, duh, lol!

Crossover ideas? We plan to stay purely analog or hope to but!

I have considered a modified Behringer, have not figured a way around the DACs, etc, though, unless something quite costly, highly moddified, like another project we are working on;)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Man i wish my dad was into this stuff as much as you are Rick. Your son has a good person to learn from, i highly envy him.

None the less, this looks to be a really strange difficult project. I don't know that much about DAC's or anything of that nature so its all greek to me right now. But the idea of having the signals before the gain control stage, then actively crossed and inputted again into the internal amps seem like it would be the simplest route, but i'm sure there are quite a few different ways to make your idea work.

Not much help but Good luck.

A good place to start looking i'd think would be www.diyaudio.com/forums for really anything to deal with homeaudio, and modding and building amps/processors and the like, but you may already know about the site, so it might not be of much help.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, DIYaudio.com, not much help there, tried it first, will look again for updates.
Rick

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
raamaudio said:
The unit does have preouts and pre inputs which makes things a bit simpler hopefully.
If it has pre outs and main-ins what's the issue? Just take the signal from the pre-outs to the xover, and then plug in the xover outputs to whichever amp channels you want.

Or are the pre-in's really "direct inputs", i.e. a set designed to allow the use of a DVD-A/SACD player? If that's the case, so far as I know you're SOL. Well, you could always buy my Marantz AV600 pre-pro and run its output to your Marantz receiver to solve your dilemma! :)

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input:)

DS-21 said:
If it has pre outs and main-ins what's the issue? Just take the signal from the pre-outs to the xover, and then plug in the xover outputs to whichever amp channels you want.

-- That is what I would like to do, instead of an owners manual I was sent a service manual for an older stereo receiver with the same model number, lot of good it does me.

Or are the pre-in's really "direct inputs", i.e. a set designed to allow the use of a DVD-A/SACD player?

--Nope, just any old DVD player using it's DAC. I would like to find out if indeed direct inputs but I just do not know. I figured if I select a digital input and use the Recievers DAC(s?)it would already have a signal going to the amp channels. Hmmmm, just got to thinking, NOT in stereo mode, but, I want to have a center and sub channel as well.

Even if not possible with button pushing I am certain it is not to hard to cut a trace and reroute a few things to get my bi amp setup running, just need the dang manual or more likely the service manual.

I have tried to get one but no luck yet, will try again!

If that's the case, so far as I know you're SOL. Well, you could always buy my Marantz AV600 pre-pro and run its output to your Marantz receiver to solve your dilemma! :)

--I have bought far to many things and had a major move that was quite costly recently, as much as I hate to I have to stop buying stuff for a bit and catch up some before buying anything else. I guess I could see how much one costs though, ebay???

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts