DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are any of you guys using an aftermarket stereo utilizing steering wheel controls?or do you think its not an issue?im debating having a datalink maestro installed just so I can use the steering wheel controls for the system,ive got an alpine ilx 207 that I am going to use and I will be utilizing it for navigation purposes through my iPhone,will it be worth the money to have it installed ,or should I just install the deck myself and forgo the steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Depends on how easy the HU controls will be to operate while driving. If you’re going to have to take your eyes off the road to mess with volume or skip tracks you probably should get the AR unit. If not I guess it’s just personal preference.

I don’t know anything about the alpine you have but maybe you could see if the shop would be willing to install just the AR so you could do the rest and save a bit.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I use my controls pretty often. Now I only really use volume up or down and track or station forward depending on which source is on. I am to the point where I don’t have to look to use those two functions in my car so really never take my eyes off road.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Same, except for skipping tracks,… the controls for that are on the opposite side of the screen. Have to lean over to reach. But most aftermarket HUs don’t have buttons on that side of the screen (I refuse to spend hundreds on a HU for a 5 year old car).

Something to do, maybe, if the controls on the stock and aftermarket HUs are similar, would be to spend a week not using steering wheel controls. Compare where the buttons (physical or touchscreen) are located on stock and aftermarket, if there’s not a huge difference you’ll get a good idea of what it’d be like not having steering wheel controls.

But you could always add the AR later, if you don’t like having to use only the controls on the Alpine unit. If you can install an aftermarket HU installing the AR shouldn’t be too hard for you (I’ve never done either myself but I’ve researched it when I was considering the DSR1 as a DSP so that statement is an educated assumption. Could be harder in your car).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts