DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone knows if it is possible to convert an "Headphone Output" into a "Line level" output?

(I mean, to bypass the internal amp of a device to deliver a non amplified signal).

The thing here is that I want to connect my smartphone (Samsung Note 3) to my Zapco ASP-q1 (car in-dash signal processor, really nice ASP-Q1 Dash Mount Equalizer), but I don´t need neither an external DAC (I like my phone internal DAC as is) nor headphone amplifier (because I will use my car amp to power my drives).

I can do this through my phone´s 3.5 mm stereo out, but I would like to find a way to "bypass" the phone internal amp and get the cleanest signal as possible...

I don´t know even if it could be possible by an app, or an adapter.

Any Ideas???

·
Wave Shepherd
2,409 Posts
Headphone outputs are almost the same as line level outputs, except they can supply a little more current to drive headphones. Have you tried using your phone directly into your equipment? Set the phone's volume to something a little less than maximum at first, maybe less.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
I wouldn`t bother either... just use HP output or micro usb to digital.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Headphone outputs are almost the same as line level outputs, except they can supply a little more current to drive headphones. Have you tried using your phone directly into your equipment? Set the phone's volume to something a little less than maximum at first, maybe less.
Thnx for your answer!

I read at some Audiophile forum that when you go through Headphone Out, SQ suffers because low quality of phones amplifiers...

That´s why I am looken for a way to avoid this :(

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wouldn`t bother either... just use HP output or micro usb to digital.
Thnx for your opinion!

USB out was my first choice... but as I travel a lot in my car, I hate have to stop playing music to charge the phone. (do you know how fast battery drains when you play HI-RES music !!! ?) :mad:

So, I preffer go through 3.5 mm out, (and because my phone has a very decent integrated DAC, so I really don´t need any external DAC to do the job). Going this way I can play music and charge the phone at the same time :cool:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
The "internal amp" and the DAC are most likely the same chip. If not they are a working pair, the DACs output would need a current or voltage buffer to drive headphones. There are numerous DACs with integrated headphone amplifiers that allow the audio outputs of the DAC to drive headphones directly. If you check the output signal of the headphones, it is most likely below 1V rms, so connecting it to your dash EQ which looks like from the specs has about 24 dB max gain, would make this signal "line level" which for most car audio amplifiers out there means up to 4V rms input (single ended). You will likely have much better performance from your amplifiers by keeping line level input voltages higher and gain set lower. Your amplifier will have a stronger signal to begin with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts