DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely get to use the system I have in my car, and I want to transfer the system to a portable household system for my dorm/apartment.

Current Setup:
-Pioneer DEH-P500UB
-2-6.5" Pioneer Speakers 30Wrms
-2-6x9" Pioneer Speakers 30Wrms
-Kicker ZX750.1
-12" Alpine Type X

My plan is to buy a nice 75A power supply and then power the amps directly from the supply, without the use of a battery.

I've heard good reviews about Cascade power supplies

Kinetik is also a pretty big name and their supplies are a bit cheaper

Any others you would recommend?

Also, should I purchase a capacitor? If I do, will it retain enough power to keep the HU in a background mode so I don't have to set up it up every time I turn on the power supply?

Finally, I'm thinking about just using the 6x9's for my mid/high range speakers. I understand they aren't very good in the whole scheme of things, but their output is much greater than the 6.5's I own. And I don't want to have four speakers, so it's either one or the other.

Who thinks this will work?

I already know it's serious overkill.... especially for an apartment, but I have already made the decision....

Thanks a lot, and it looks like a great forum you all have.

Can't wait to get some more help and offer what I can!

·
Registered
230 Posts
well, its a dumb idea, and you aren't using the right equipment, but if you are set on doing this, do it like this

don't use a capacitor, they lose power too fast, use either a battcap, or a regular battery. doesn't have to be very large.
you will need the head unit to be hooked up to the battery as constant power, and then run the ignition to the power supply or a seperate switch.
if you are mounting the speakers in a wall or ceiling, i would personally just use the 6.5's, because whatever portable enclosure you put the speakers in, there isn't going to be enough air space for you to benefit from the larger cone area of the 6.9's. 6.5's will be just as loud. in the rear deck of your car you probably got the idea that they are way louder but thats just because the air space they had to work with gave them louder bass output.
make sure the sub is firing down
also, if its a ported box, tune it high so it can pick up some of those tones that your 6.5's can't reach, and also to keep the sub more efficient and not work so hard on your amplifier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You'd be better off buying a new system to be honest. I though about this in the past and upon doing research it was outrageous. You can buy a nice Bose or Boston Acoustics system for cheaper than what this would cost. Not only that, but it'd be a more powerful system as well.

You do realize, you'd at the very least need a 75A power supply that will drop the 120V house circuit to 12V. If you were to make it yourself, the transformer itself would be the size of a car battery! You're dealing with too much amperage here. Would rather you not wind up fried in trying to negate a "cheap" home audio system. The power supply pre-made would cost you at least $500... And on top of that, you'd need to do some custom wiring on top of that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i made a little box and mounted two zapco 6.5" component sets in it, put a 40 watt amp in it that i got for $22 from partsexpress.com, and ran the power wire and an audio jack out of it. the amp has a bass and treble knob. the box was made out of wood. it doesn't look that pretty, but it sounds amazing and the project costed about $40 plus the speakers which you already have

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
if you are not planning on it being portable (is going to be plugged in all the time) why not just buy home equipment that already runs on 120VAC? spending $500 on a 75A supply then buying inefficient 12V stuff, makes little sence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate all the concerns presented.

Just to clarify some things, the power supply would not $500. More like $300-350.. I understand the inefficiencies mentioned, but the main point of this project was to have large amounts of bass.

It seems with your suggestions, I would be getting something better suited overall, but not exactly what I want.

I clearly have more research to do, but thanks for the help thus far.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts

Just to clarify some things, the power supply would not $500. More like $300-350.. I understand the inefficiencies mentioned, but the main point of this project was to have large amounts of bass.

It seems with your suggestions, I would be getting something better suited overall, but not exactly what I want.

doesnt change my point. I didnt look up what it costs, I just know it is not cheap. for $350 you could get a receiver and be half way there. (or at least have a good amount towards it)

·
Registered
15 Posts

$500 for a quality power supply. Look up reviews on the cheaper ones, such as Iota. I know you can't go by reviews entirely, but when something is cheap, such as Harbor Freight, you know you aren't getting quality. Perhaps they have a 10-year replacement plan, but would you want to send it out once a month to east bumblef--k to get a new one? Meanwhile, you lost 2 weeks on shipping as well as your time and money.

You're also putting all this time and money into making specialized boxes for each individual speaker..

You aren't realizing home audio systems are better geared for this. Just like comparing home-made food to fast-food, you're paying for the convenience. If you were to somehow have 2 identical systems for $xxx.xx - 1 home audio and 1 car audio, the home audio would blow it away. Manufacturer's specialize in this and offer the best available enclosure for each speaker and subwoofer. I'm sure that's part of the reason you don't see people swapping out their subwoofer speaker boxes in home audio.

For what my parents paid for our home theater setup 15 years ago, it's a fraction of the cost now. Mid-hundreds. And I can assure you the bass has absolutely no issue shaking the house. In fact, I know when watching the D-Day scene in Saving Private Ryan, or the opening scene in Gladiator, it shakes the house MORE than when that 4.7 Earthquake hit Virginia and reached us in Jersey.

Also, which is it that you have? A dorm or an apartment? Regardless, I can see you getting complaints about it on a consistent basis. Trust me, I had enough bass on a home portable stereo to cause enough trouble... AND that was at WVU.

On top of that, can you imagine how you'd look sitting there carrying around 6x9's, a sub, head unit, and power supply? I've never seen anything like that before, even in cities... To me, I see that as a bit... for lack of a better word, ghetto.
doesnt change my point. I didnt look up what it costs, I just know it is not cheap. for $350 you could get a receiver and be half way there. (or at least have a good amount towards it)
Precisely.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
You can use a pyramid power supply they work fine, possibly not as reliable but for testing amps they are recommended by many. The problem is the amps, if you can get a used or pawn shop home amp then you can run the HU off a cheap 10A power supply no problem. Find a cheaper small 12v sealed battery for standby you are set, how about a $20 car booster pack on sale that is all they are. Personally I'd build a properly tuned box at 30Hz or so, ported, with a DVC 4 ohm so I could run a home amp on it. Get some cheap home speakers used and all you need is a HU and xover to run 12v. You might run a jumper pack and use its own charger to run that. The hard part would be two home amps for power, the sub one would need to be larger and they would need pre-amp inputs iirc. Unless you used the HU to run the highs, which is not going to be real loud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$500 for a quality power supply. Look up reviews on the cheaper ones, such as Iota. I know you can't go by reviews entirely, but when something is cheap, such as Harbor Freight, you know you aren't getting quality. Perhaps they have a 10-year replacement plan, but would you want to send it out once a month to east bumblef--k to get a new one? Meanwhile, you lost 2 weeks on shipping as well as your time and money.

You're also putting all this time and money into making specialized boxes for each individual speaker..

You aren't realizing home audio systems are better geared for this. Just like comparing home-made food to fast-food, you're paying for the convenience. If you were to somehow have 2 identical systems for $xxx.xx - 1 home audio and 1 car audio, the home audio would blow it away. Manufacturer's specialize in this and offer the best available enclosure for each speaker and subwoofer. I'm sure that's part of the reason you don't see people swapping out their subwoofer speaker boxes in home audio.

For what my parents paid for our home theater setup 15 years ago, it's a fraction of the cost now. Mid-hundreds. And I can assure you the bass has absolutely no issue shaking the house. In fact, I know when watching the D-Day scene in Saving Private Ryan, or the opening scene in Gladiator, it shakes the house MORE than when that 4.7 Earthquake hit Virginia and reached us in Jersey.

Also, which is it that you have? A dorm or an apartment? Regardless, I can see you getting complaints about it on a consistent basis. Trust me, I had enough bass on a home portable stereo to cause enough trouble... AND that was at WVU.

On top of that, can you imagine how you'd look sitting there carrying around 6x9's, a sub, head unit, and power supply? I've never seen anything like that before, even in cities... To me, I see that as a bit... for lack of a better word, ghetto.

Precisely.
As far as I have heard, Cascade (Iota) makes excellent quality power supplies. A 75a one is listed at ~360.. That is besides the point though right now.

As for home audio vs car audio, clearly the home audio equipment would be superior in efficiency and sound clarity. However, it seems that the pure power in a car audio setup will ensure that it will be louder if that power can be converted to DC from AC.

I suppose I should have mentioned this previously, but I made a 2.5ft3 ported box tuned to 32hz back before I got it almost three years ago.

I am in a dorm room styled as an apartment with 5 other guys. We have a decent amount of space. And I am sure complaints would occur if I were to play it at unreasonable volumes at certain times, but that is somethings that doesn't really need to be considered right now.

As far as the looks of this, I don't care. It will be brought up to my one once during the year, and brought out of it once. It would not be a problem for it to look "ghetto."

I'm not trying to sound like I am disregarding everybody's opinions. It simply appears that the issues addressed are not necessarily what I would consider issues. Aside from the main concern about powering this.

I know there are more than powerful enough speaker sets I could purchase instead of going through all this trouble, but in a way, I want to do this as much for the process of completing the project, as the result.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just experienced what you're thinking of doing. And I would go with a plate amp. I bought a receiver with 5 channels, it made the system one hundred times easier to manage. I only use the 50 or so watts with the sub.

Get a plate amp for the sub and a receiver for your speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I just experienced what you're thinking of doing. And I would go with a plate amp. I bought a receiver with 5 channels, it made the system one hundred times easier to manage. I only use the 50 or so watts with the sub.

Get a plate amp for the sub and a receiver for your speakers.
I would get a plate amp in a heartbeat, but my sub is DVC with 4ohm voice coils.

I can only wire to 2ohms or 8ohms. I can't seem to find any 2ohm stable plate amps, or any non-car audio amps at this impedance.

EDIT:

What if I bought a stereo power amplifier and hooked up each voice coil individually. That way, theoretically, I could use a 4ohm amp and greatly reduce the complication.

·
Registered
438 Posts
well i used an 20A cheap pymaid one for my testing stuff but i have hook up an radio 1 set of speakers an a 12 in sub amp a left on for 12 hours as i worked on my doors i didnt burn the house down or pop any fuses

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah you can wire each voice coil individually. Ive done it with car audio amps so im not sure about plate amps. It does make the box weird because you have two sets of positive and negative wiring to deal with.

Or get a bigger plate amp, wire the sub to 8 ohms and run an 8 ohm load.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
It will work fine with a channel of a home amp on each VC, that is what I posted. Most home amps will run 4 ohm/ch as they parallel A and B sets of 8 ohm home speakers normally, but you would only run the sub and not use the B set of outs because it would be low passed anyway. You can get pro sound amps that bridge but ones I saw are rack mount. But around here you can grab 5.1 home units for <$50 at pawn shops with the remotes and all, 2ch cheaper.

·
Registered
589 Posts
A receiver and random house speakers will probably cost you less than the power supply and box for the 6x9s. I would seriously consider doing this instead. The setup will be cleaner, you won't have to deal with car audio amps and random 6x9s laying around. You'll have a nice receiver, stereo amp, and speakers.

The EPQ1200 looks fine to me but i know nothing about Behringer. I would just make sure it's not super cheaply made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A receiver and random house speakers will probably cost you less than the power supply and box for the 6x9s. I would seriously consider doing this instead. The setup will be cleaner, you won't have to deal with car audio amps and random 6x9s laying around. You'll have a nice receiver, stereo amp, and speakers.

The EPQ1200 looks fine to me but i know nothing about Behringer. I would just make sure it's not super cheaply made.
I doubt that I could find a receiver and speakers for less than 100.. Anyway, I want to use my head unit since it has ipod control and I am already comfortable using it.

Behringer gets somewhat of a bad rep, but from what I have read into, they aren't bad by any means.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts