DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

My new adventure is to install a JVC KW-AV70BT in the old explorer.
That headunit has av inputs, (red, white, yellow) cables.
This cable: Amazon.com: JVC KS-U30 USB Video Cable for iPod and iPhone: Car Electronics seems to transmit the Ipod video to the headunit, as well as sound.

Since I do not have an iPhone and I am not planning to get one, I would like to connect my android phone (Motorola Atrix) to the head unit the same way by using a converter that would let me go from HDMI to AV. Since this seems to be going from a digital signal to an analog one, I've seen active boxes that can actually do this. However I am still in doubt that this JVC cable has any sort of chipset that makes such a conversion. And even if it had such a chip, probably it should be active. Amazon reviews say it is not active.

With a little bit of research, I found some cheap eBay solutions like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/5ft-1-5M-HDMI-Male-To-5-RCA-Audio-Video-AV-Component-Convert-Cable-Gold-Plated-/150853113337?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item 231f8bd5f9. It clearly states: "This cable don't own the chip to convert digital signals to analog signals, so it only fits for the devices which itself can cointo younvert digital signals to analog signals, for example STB (Set Top Box)."

Solutions like this one MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac are the ones that do it actively.

So at the end, my questions are:
¿Is that JVC cable converting the signal to analog on the fly?
¿Is the head unit doing the conversion?

I know maybe I won't get full control of my android device, since there's no USB data flowing, but at least maybe I would be able to see my phone in webtop mode as when I connect it to a TV. That would be plain awesome.

Input appreciated

·
Registered
304 Posts
That headunit has av inputs, (red, white, yellow) cables.
That is known as a "Composite Input."

That cable is for "Component Inputs" but won't work directly... you'll need a component to composite adapter. But for the price, you're probably better off buying a HDMI to Composite adapter, like this one or this one.

I wish that new HU's came with HDMI in/out... that would be bad ass. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish that new HU's came with HDMI in/out... that would be bad ass. :cool:
Hell yeah!!! Also a simple thing would be to create a bluetooth remote control app. Who needs cables these days :/

Does anyone knows if these AV70BT headunits support an add-on GPS hideaway unit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts