DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you who have been around diyma a while may remember the few Prius we have built over the years and how i have always commented on them being super SQ platforms even with OEM locations. So it was quite exciting for me to work on a new Prius V with some very rare and high end equipment supplied by the customer. :)

the goals:

1. achieve a nice level of SQ with oem locations

2. Integrate an HDMI to optical adapter to the alpine H800 to use as the only signal source (oem JBL headunit not connected at the request of the customer)

3. maintain a totally stealthy appearance in the hatch and maintain a little bit of storage space.

lets get started :)

first up, a quick shot of the car...i know its a prius but this is our first V. :)

so as mentioned before, the customer decided that the stock JBL system would not be integrated into the aftermarket system, as it will always pale in comparsion with his true source: his iphone output a pure digital signal through an HDMI to Toslink interface. Those modules were placed under the armrest tray so the cord comes out from the armrest for his iphone:

this is the hdmi to toslink adapter he supplied me, along with a 5volt voltage stepper to properly power it, wired together with an apple hdmi adapter plug. there is also a powered USB charging port wired in so the end cord can charge his phone as well:

this is then secured to the space under the armrest, and the wires lead forward:

for the front stage, he gave me a pair of focal utopia Be midbasses, these were installed in the stock lower door location.

first, new speaker wires were run into the doors, and the outter door panel sound proofed with blackhole tile:

then the inner door was sound proofed with some CLD damper:

i then fabricated some speaker adapters for the focal midbass, and coated them with several layers of truck bedliner to protect them against the elements:

the spacer was then bolted to the door using oem hardware and mounting points:

and the focal utopia midbass installed:

the door card itself also received ample CLD coverage:

and finally, a layer of 3M thinsulate, supplied by the customer, was laid down and glued to the door card to provide an additional barrier:

the same procedure was repeated on the passenger side:

for the mids and highs, because we wanted to achieve the best sq using purely the oem location, i supplied a pair of illusion audio c3cx point sources for him. these were wired up:

and then bolted to the oem location on top of the dash:

becuase the oem location is virtually open, i wanted to make sure to seal off the front and the backside of the midrange as much as possible to improve midrange performance, so what i did was to seal the holes with butyl rope, and then CLD damper over that, it isnt super pretty, but its effective:

same process on the passenger side c3cx:

now one thing we needed to do was to still have the oem headunit to have some ability to provide audio output for BT and Navigation prompts. so what i did was to extend the factory dash speaker harness down to below the dash, and plugged the oem speakers in, and have them playing behind the dash on both sides:

so thats it for the front stage, moving onto the wiring, here are pictures of the wiring bundle as it travels from the front of the car to the rear, ziptied to factory bundles every few inches, around the wheel wells i laid down some more CLD damper and thinsulate:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
moving to the main attraction, the hatch. so the idea for total stealth, and with the stock cargo plate in place, that goal is definitely achieved:

pull off the mat and you see the factory floor, still 100 percent oem:

open that up and here is what you see. a new shallower storage bin, wrapped in black carpet is there, allow him to still place items under the foor. inside the storage bin are two breathable cutouts with pull straps:

pop off those covers and here is what you see. a single JBL GTI10" subwoofer resides upfront, while a opening with a mesh screen allows you to look down into a big Ground Zero Plutonium amp. very simple and functional :)

so this is an install that truly has more to see beyond the top layer, so lets get to the build pics of the hatch.

first, the area inside the spare tire well was fully sound proofed, and then masked. 6 layers of fiberglass mat then wen on to form the bottom of the sub enclosure:

once that cured, it was removed and topped with a pice of 3/4" mdf, and the edges blended in and sealed:

this was test fitted back to the car to ensure that it is indeed at the proper angle and orientation as everyhting else that comes after will simply bolt to this:

then a square hole was cut out near the front, so the insanely tall JBL GTi subwoofer can sot as far down as possible, and various rivet nuts installed for mounting of the top layers:

this the top portion of the box that when combined with the bottom portion, makes for a sealed enclosure of about .8 cubic foot before the driver displacement.

this was then secured to the bottom portion of the enclosure and sealed, and then the entire thing was bolted to the car using the oem spare tire retaining location:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this the first amp rack plate, and as some astute reader would realize, the single GZ 4 channel amp is not enough to power the entire system. so this actually houses an additional TRU copper 4 channel. :eek: so here is the first amp rack secured and then the True amp secured and wired up:

then comes the top amp rack which houses the GZ copper amp, this was painted black on the inside as it is visible with the top cover off:

this is then bolted to the car:

rivet nut was then insatlled on the passenger side floor, which locates a small rack that will house the power distribution and barrier strips, here ist he rivet nut and the rack itself:

and the same deal was done on the driver side which will house the customer supplied H800 processor. the processor rack took a bit more figuring out, as we were tight on space and i need a way to secure the dsp with the mounting feet pointing inwards, s four holes were drilled to allow me to secure the processor in that manner:

and finally, everything was wired up and secured, quite a bit going on down there as i would say :)

if you notice, there is a small slot on the top amp rack, so is so you can still adjust the big gain knobs on the TRU amplifier without disturbing the GZ amp :)

and here are the top trim piace and the storage well structure before and after upholstery:

and here they are, mated together:

a painted aluminum mesh screen was added to the bottom of the piece under the amp cutout to give it some more visual impact :)

and finally, this piece was secured back into the car:

and finally, here is the top floor panel and the breathable grilles before and after carpeting:

so thats it...actually these types of builds which maximizes sound quality, stealthiness and utility are among my favorites...aside from the spare, its kinda like having a pie and eating it too.

with the high end gear in place, this car for sure will sound quite good. but since the customer is pretty experienced with tuning and i am not very familar yet with the H800, i just did a pretty basic tune on the car...

from what i heard, its overall quite nice, good imaging and staging, the focal midbass provide solid impact, and the jbl sub is simple magical, it can get loud, go deep, yet completely blends into the music. and very surprisingly, there are virtually zero rattles from the oem cover in place...i was prepared to redo that cover if need be, but honestly, despite all the plastic back there, it was completely silent even with big bass notes.

I am sure after some more tweaking by the customer, it will sound even better. :)

yeah bring on more prius please! :)

if you need specifics on the amps used, i will see if the owner can comment as i am not all that familar with them and just hooked things up as he asked :)

but it suuurrrreee is purrrty with all dem copper! :)

until next time,

Bing

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Very nice build. Looks like someone went crazy on the DIYMA Classifieds then brought it Bing to install.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Nice Build Bing, what is the amp power distribution to the drivers?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
any chance this customer is local/willing to let me have a listen? the 3cx and focal midbasses are two products I'm really curious about and have not had a chance to hear.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
How'd you like that nice HDMI to Toslink rig?
That's pretty slick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
That plutonium is a badass amplifier right there. A kickass install yet again.

Bing, Can you show any pictures of the rux placement (if there was any installed) and how does the HU and front cabin look like after the install...

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
any chance this customer is local/willing to let me have a listen? the 3cx and focal midbasses are two products I'm really curious about and have not had a chance to hear.
sure i will send him the link to this build log, i think he may be on here already. so you guys can arrange it :)

actually you would be a great tuning resource i think as well.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How'd you like that nice HDMI to Toslink rig?
That's pretty slick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
it worked great, infact, i have since gotten the links for them on amazon and gotten the same exact set up for another customer. its not as easy as mosconi amas2 interms of being unteathered, but it works very very well.

b

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*-
That plutonium is a badass amplifier right there. A kickass install yet again.

Bing, Can you show any pictures of the rux placement (if there was any installed) and how does the HU and front cabin look like after the install...
well, the rux now is just in the center console loose, i wanted to build a mount for it but he wasnt sure where he wanted to place it eventually so that may be another part of the project :)

the rest of the interior looks 100 percent stock :)

b

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Sounds like the JBL worked well on that small box. What are your thoughts?

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
looks nice, is the OEM floor mat actually sitting right over the sub, without any venting between or through it?

does the floor mat act as a passive radiator at all, it looks like it would buzz at high volumes along with the factory floor panels.

in some SIS builds it looks like the amount of air exchange allowed for the subs to pass into the interior seems to be less than what would appear to be enough for unhindered operation of the sub.

I think that's just my own preconceived notions though, because if it works, then it works!

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the manual called for .75 sealed as optimal so i went for that :)

i honestly dont get impressed by subs that easily anymore, but was this excellent. the only issue is its massive depth...that limits where they can go...

but so transparent, great transient response, yet awesome output and extension.

impressive.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looks nice, is the OEM floor mat actually sitting right over the sub, without any venting between or through it?

does the floor mat act as a passive radiator at all, it looks like it would buzz at high volumes along with the factory floor panels.

in some SIS builds it looks like the amount of air exchange allowed for the subs to pass into the interior seems to be less than what would appear to be enough for unhindered operation of the sub.

I think that's just my own preconceived notions though, because if it works, then it works!
i couldnt tell much of anything in this car...

i would say my own car is probably the best example of bass working through blockage. in my car, the subs fire into the bottom of the amp rack, sealed tight with amps, then through the floor panel, then through a solid rubber mat, then through the rear deck...and anyone who has heard my car can attest to what the bass sounds like :)

b

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
it worked great, infact, i have since gotten the links for them on amazon and gotten the same exact set up for another customer. its not as easy as mosconi amas2 interms of being unteathered, but it works very very well.

b

Cool!! If you don't mind sharing maybe links to the parts list?

I've seen a few like the parts-express or the monoprice audio extractors. While I did a hack to an airport express to get iPhone to toslink, I suspect this wired option is more reliable.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts