DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from my DDX616 to a DDX395. Among the things that are different is a place to set types of speakers for your front, back and subwoofer.

I have component front speakers with Eclipse 6x9 woofer and 1 inch tweeter in the A frame of the window. They are passively crossed over.

The Head Unit allows for setting up front speakers to set the tweeter and the woofer and determine a crossover point.

Since my components already have passive crossovers, should I be altering the Tweeter, or should set tweeter to none since theoretically, the Kenwood shouldn't be able to effect the output with a passive crossover.

I'm confused.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
While I’m certainly no expert, I think you’re right. With passive crossovers, it only makes sense to set the tweeters to “none.”

In the DDX395 manual… Support | DDX395 2-Din DVD Receiver with Bluetooth | eXcelon | Car Entertainment | KENWOOD USA
…page 41 shows six speaker locations (L/R dash, and front and rear doors), whereas this unit has only four channels (L/R front and rear + sub). So, if you did not wish to run rear door speakers, you could presumably run your front components without their passive crossovers, in which case you would presumably set the dash locations as tweeters, and the rear door locations to "none" (which, given skillful tuning, would seem to be the best SQ option). However, if you’d rather have/keep rear door speakers, then you’d presumably set the dash locations to “none.”

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I watched some Youtube videos from Car Electronic Shops and you're supposed to report your tweeter if you have one separate. It's more for the benefit of the DSPs the Kenwood uses than just crossover.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Actually, I watched some Youtube videos from Car Electronic Shops and you're supposed to report your tweeter if you have one separate. It's more for the benefit of the DSPs the Kenwood uses than just crossover.
Exactly (if by "separate" you mean not connected via a passive crossover). If so, you seem to have missed the point of my post. By "skillful tuning," I implied the presence of DSP (and not just for crossover duty).

·
Listener of Music
4,032 Posts
You definitely set it to tweeter. If you set to none than it will likely throttle frequencies above a certain point. That's how tho HU pre programed DSP'S work. You want as much of the frequencies range as possible (within the speakers limits) sent to the Eclipse crossover. The Eclipse crossover will then determine what goes where. If all the possible tweeter info never gets sent from the HU because you set tweeter to off then obviously you won't hear it.

It works the same way with lower frequencies and passive crossovers. Sometimes you're 6x9 can play very comfortably down to 75ish but the HU is set to subwoofer off so it will not send out any lower frequencies and only the manufacturer knows where that cut off or q is set. Sometimes it's drastic. Now if the HU has crossover settings you can get the idea of where the cutoff's are.

Reactions: billqs

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
You definitely set it to tweeter. If you set to none than it will likely throttle frequencies above a certain point. That's how tho HU pre programed DSP'S work. You want as much of the frequencies range as possible (within the speakers limits) sent to the Eclipse crossover. The Eclipse crossover will then determine what goes where. If all the possible tweeter info never gets sent from the HU because you set tweeter to off then obviously you won't hear it.

It works the same way with lower frequencies and passive crossovers. Sometimes you're 6x9 can play very comfortably down to 75ish but the HU is set to subwoofer off so it will not send out any lower frequencies and only the manufacturer knows where that cut off or q is set. Sometimes it's drastic. Now if the HU has crossover settings you can get the idea of where the cutoff's are.
I see...

...though, this really makes no sense to me...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Since my components already have passive crossovers, should I be altering the Tweeter, or should set tweeter to none since theoretically, the Kenwood shouldn't be able to effect the output with a passive crossover.

I'm confused.
It sounds to me like u'r talking about setting a crossover point for the tweeter within the Kenwood HU's settings. If that is indeed the case, u want to set it to "none", as in no filter or no crossover point. That will send all the high freqs to the passive crossover, which will direct them appropriately.

However, if the Kenwood is asking if there is a tweeter present or not, then select "yes". Based on my (older) Kenwood unit, it would probably ask for a tweeter size (ie, .75", 1", 1.5", etc). In that case, select the size that most closely matches your tweets.

·
Listener of Music
4,032 Posts
I see...

...though, this really makes no sense to me...
I'm just saying set the HU to all speakers you have even if running passive. Let the passive crossover do their job. Don't let the HU do the crossovers job.

Reactions: billqs

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I'm just saying set the HU to all speakers you have even if running passive. Let the passive crossover do their job. Don't let the HU do the crossovers job.
Understood.

My confusion is a result of my evidently incorrect interpretation of the manual (which seems as clear as mud), and my lack of experience with modern HUs.

I only stepped in to help (FWIW) because it seemed no one else would. In hindsight, I ought to have made it more clear that my input was mostly guesswork.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts