DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be possibly building a fiberglass box in the next few weeks for my Tempest, around 4cf and i'm trying to figure up the amount of resin, and matting that it will take me to build the enclosure. I was going to make a mold of the rear cargo area and then wrap a fleece covering over the entire top of the box, (added speaker mounting ring as well) and all in all i would just like a good figure of how much matting, resin and hardener i will possibly need to complete my goal. So any of you fiberglassers out there care to help me out. Also a good idea of the total amount everything should or could possibly cost would be a great help as well. I've looked at different stores around my area for materials but havn't found many at all. All so what are some of the best brands and all to use.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would guess it'll take .75-1 gallon of Resin, and 3-4 yards of fiberglass mat.

You can get resin in .25 gallon increments for ~$14 at home depot, or a gallon for ~$30 online. Single yards of mat cost ~$5-7. Fleece is cheap. I got two quarts of resin for $6 a piece at Menards, but they're a Minnesota store, I believe.

People have said before that you can get resin and mat from boat repair places for cheap, but in my researching in the Twin Cities, it's more expensive at these places than at Home depot.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
ooh we 4 cf will be expensive

1) use as much mdf as you can lol --basically all the flat runs and sides, unless you are going for some funky sphere

$15 bucks a sheet

2) west marine (or any other boat shop) will be your best friend, and buy resin in LARGE amounts gallons are great

Id suggest you may need 2-3 gallons for 4 cf assuming 7 layers or mat

maybe $40 each inc tax

3) mat same place unless you are buying online----

4 bags --its cheap $10-15 bucks a bag

4) gloves three boxes $15 total

5) heavy duty mask about $35 from home depot

6) paper cups

about 1 lare bag--just buy it from costco and save the rest about $15 bucks for a zillion lol

7) sharpie ( to mark the cup measurmets and mat locations) $3

7b) brushes by them by the 15 pack at home depot (cheap $1 testers)

youll you at least 4 bags Im sure

$40 total or so (for 4 bags)

8) plastic bags costco $10

9) filler ( id HIGHLY recommend evercoat rage gold--easier to sand) get a large gallon $30 bucks or so

youll need a glze filler also $30 bucks or so, make the final steps waaay easier

10) sand paper --cheap, or die grinder, or dremel ( very important tool for grinding those not so pretty spots and to grind down the face)

cheap

11) router would be best, but a dremel or circle cutter, jigsaw will work to cut your mounting rings

as you see the tools are the most expensive, followed by the resin

others may join in as this has been my limited experience

AND RESEARCH !!!! before you start and TAPE OFF WELL ( I made that mistake lol)

good luck

and oh yeah you may want to buy some cascade vb-1x liquid deadner to lather up the inside of the box,a s fiberglass can "ping" a bit so you wnat to make it as acoustically dead as mdf

$40/gallon (one gallon should do you fine)

and polyfill is great also to smooth out the bass response

·
Registered
127 Posts
The local West Marine outlet was significantly more expensive than Home Depot on fiberglass stuff. A gallon was ~60-70 before tax. Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing that i'm not exactly sure about YET is if i'm ditching the spare....if i don't ditch it then i will be going with a flat bottom where the box will sit on the existing removable floor, or possibly taking a mold of the existing area where the spare tire resides and try to fit the area so that i can get more volume without sacrificing actual hatch space. If i do use a flat bottom then i will be making the rear of the enclosure and the bottom out of MDF, if not then a fair majority will be f-glass. Also what is the best way of bonding the thickness of the wood to the fiberglass matting.....simply overlaping or would i need to screw it together?

ALL suggestions and comments are welcome.......i'm into anything in terms of designs as well.

As far as design i was mainly going for a single sub in the middle angled back just a tad, so that the driver height will fit, as well as a very flowing design on the front visible part of the enclosure, will be ported as well.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
newtitan said:
9) filler ( id HIGHLY recommend evercoat rage gold--easier to sand) get a large gallon $30 bucks or so

11) router would be best, but a dremel or circle cutter, jigsaw will work to cut your mounting rings
Rage Gold is $30 a gallon, but is also available in quarts for around $19

I find that any cuts to be made on 1/2" mdf or larger needs a router or jigsaw. Those small Dremels dont last with the heavier thickness, they are mainly used for cutting drywall material.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i made a 1.7 cube ported box last summer....took me about 2.5 gallons of resin....as only the front baffle was mdf.....

and i put fleece on top of that and glassed it to get some contour....i made it about 8-9 layers thick everywhere though...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this project is becoming a little too expensive for me, but i'm still considering it. Will probobly make the back and bottom out of MDF with a fleece front, hopefully that wont take too much materials and be rather cost effecient.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Its always more cost efficient to use mdf where possible. If you are needing some more ideas or photos to look at, try Tim Baillie's website, which showcases many trunk fabrications using mdf as a framework.

http://www.hzemall.com/our_gallery/main.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts