DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there i am running focal krx2 6.5 inch component 2 way set and i put speaker baffles behind them. Only problem is that my Mids sound TERRIBLE and DISTORTED. Has anybody out there ever used speaker baffles

speaker baffles at Crutchfield.com

Could it be that my speakers are out of phase as i have not checked if in-phase or out of phase. whatever the case is and whatever complications that may occur please advice on weather i should take them off to get a better result. ALL I KNOW IS MY MIDS SOUND DISTORTED AND TERRIBLE. I use high quality monster 400 speaker cables, my amplifier is alpine pdx F4, my interconnects are monster 400 series. Head unit is pioneer AVH-4300 dvd. Every other frequency sounds great especially highs but my BASS SUCKS!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I would definitely reverse the speaker wires on one side. It doesn't matter if you swap wires on the driver or on the source end, whichever is easier. I've never used those speaker baffles but they look like they'd absolutely kill bass response.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
did you use the baffles for water protection?

maybe cut an "X" in the back of the baffles to open them up. this should still keep the water out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would definitely reverse the speaker wires on one side. It doesn't matter if you swap wires on the driver or on the source end, whichever is easier. I've never used those speaker baffles but they look like they'd absolutely kill bass response.
Hi thanks for the response guys keep them coming. they are meant to INCREASE bass response little did i know they will KILL the response . Might as well just remove them? WHO OUT THERE HAS USED THEM PLS HELP?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Hi thanks for the response guys keep them coming. they are meant to INCREASE bass response little did i know they will KILL the response . Might as well just remove them? WHO OUT THERE HAS USED THEM PLS HELP?
but I imagine they are only gonna increase bass response for a midbass designed to be in a small enclosure. if it has a moderately high .qts and designed for IB, then the midbass will sound worse in an enclosure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Behind the speakers, thats where they are meant to be installed
LOL, oh......

That's a pretty good reason.

The only time I would recommend using those is if:
1.) I needed to isolate speakers in the back dash from the sound pressure of subwoofers beatin in a trunk.
2.) I needed a umbrella to cover the back of the speaker in a door location. In which case, I'd cut out 1/2-2/3 of the lower portion so all that remained would be a hat over the magnet.

Perhaps I shall ask once again, what is your reason for installing these things? In what sense do you believe they are going to benefit you?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, oh......

That's a pretty good reason.

The only time I would recommend using those is if:
1.) I needed to isolate speakers in the back dash from the sound pressure of subwoofers beatin in a trunk.
2.) I needed a umbrella to cover the back of the speaker in a door location. In which case, I'd cut out 1/2-2/3 of the lower portion so all that remained would be a hat over the magnet.

Perhaps I shall ask once again, what is your reason for installing these things? In what sense do you believe they are going to benefit you?
I saw on crutchfield that it was recommended i read an article. I was a newbie then when installed i didnt know anything about them. SO you advice i should just take them out?... my focals look just like new though even though i have had them installed for like 8 months now they did their job but also doing a huge damage to my sound!. I guess its best i just took them out i will do that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
How about take them out and try without them? If it makes no difference, put them back, as they do a good job of protecting the speakers.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You have decent equipment. You claim the speakers sound "distorted and terrible". The baffles may reduce your bass response, but they shouldn't make the speakers distort.

Are your gains set too high?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would do a comparison with and without the baffles on one side.
If they sound worse with the baffle in place, I would do as suggested above and remove all of the backside EXCEPT the top portion to protect from water

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have decent equipment. You claim the speakers sound "distorted and terrible". The baffles may reduce your bass response, but they shouldn't make the speakers distort.

Are your gains set too high?
Gains NOT set high set to very moderate 40%

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would do a comparison with and without the baffles on one side.
If they sound worse with the baffle in place, I would do as suggested above and remove all of the backside EXCEPT the top portion to protect from water
Will try to use them without the baffles and see how things go...i STRONGLY suspect the baffles since i realized that speakers NEED to draw air and since there isnt much space for air to be drawn since i fit baffles and no hole behind really. Maybe i should have perforated about 6-8 holes so that air can flow in but Rusting will still take place because of humidity . I guess there is no point , its only a matter of time before speakers wear and tear. cant avoid

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi there i am running focal krx2 6.5 inch component 2 way set and i put speaker baffles behind them. Only problem is that my Mids sound TERRIBLE and DISTORTED. Has anybody out there ever used speaker baffles

speaker baffles at Crutchfield.com

Could it be that my speakers are out of phase as i have not checked if in-phase or out of phase. whatever the case is and whatever complications that may occur please advice on weather i should take them off to get a better result. ALL I KNOW IS MY MIDS SOUND DISTORTED AND TERRIBLE. I use high quality monster 400 speaker cables, my amplifier is alpine pdx F4, my interconnects are monster 400 series. Head unit is pioneer AVH-4300 dvd. Every other frequency sounds great especially highs but my BASS SUCKS!!!
"ALL I KNOW IS MY MIDS SOUND DISTORTED AND TERRIBLE."

Hey, that's more than can be said for some... A couple other things you may want to believe:
1.) Monster cable is not high quality cable. You're cool for now, but never purchase it again.
2.) Running K2's from any high efficiency class D amp is not a preferred idea/practice/setup. Its similar to putting Big O tires on a BMW.
3.) Baffles are not wax-on/wax-off, they are always warranted when upgrading from a factory speaker. Just in a different fashion.
4.) Your bass won't improve until you provide a host to suit a driver of the K2's caliber. It'll just sound different.
5.)You're not tuned correctly if your results were "that" bad.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"ALL I KNOW IS MY MIDS SOUND DISTORTED AND TERRIBLE."

Hey, that's more than can be said for some... A couple other things you may want to believe:
1.) Monster cable is not high quality cable. You're cool for now, but never purchase it again.
2.) Running K2's from any high efficiency class D amp is not a preferred idea/practice/setup. Its similar to putting Big O tires on a BMW.
3.) Baffles are not wax-on/wax-off, they are always warranted when upgrading from a factory speaker. Just in a different fashion.
4.) Your bass won't improve until you provide a host to suit a driver of the K2's caliber. It'll just sound different.
5.)You're not tuned correctly if your results were "that" bad.
Thanks for the detailed reply now i have a couple of questions to ask you as well :
1.) If monster cable is not high quality cable for speaker and interconnects then can you recommend?. Because i sure as hell saw a huge difference between the crappy blue casing typical installer stuff and my monster.
2.) If i need an amp to match my k2's since you feel my alpines are crap , then what do you recommend?
3.)I didnt quite understand your third point about baffles, what different fashion?
4.) what host? to suit the driver what do you recommend , i dont quite understand.
5.) I think i am pretty tuned well. Everything sounds okay EXCEPT those Mids, they just sound HORRIBLE , its sort of as if something is stifling them from expressing themselves. Kindly reply thank you for your time :)

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your f6.
Don't worry about your speaker wire, you may have over paid for The name some, but that doesn't make it bad.
How is your door treatment? Deadening on inside and outside skins? Major holes sealed? Door card treated with deadening, ccf, etc? Door treatments will greatly effect the bass response of your mid. You also want to make sure they are sealed, to prevent the rear wave from leaking out, and cancelling the from wave of the mid.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your f6.
Don't worry about your speaker wire, you may have over paid for The name some, but that doesn't make it bad.
How is your door treatment? Deadening on inside and outside skins? Major holes sealed? Door card treated with deadening, ccf, etc? Door treatments will greatly effect the bass response of your mid. You also want to make sure they are sealed, to prevent the rear wave from leaking out, and cancelling the from wave of the mid.
X2 on all this, also make sure you didn't over tighten any of the mounting screws on the speaker. If you warped the frame on your mid by over tightening any screws it can cause distortion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts