DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I swap out my factory mid's / tweets in the doors of my 2006 Mercedes-Benz w/ Seas Lotus Ref 6.5's and possibly LCY 108's, using the factory "COMAND" Nav/HU and (according to M/B) 440 watt amp??? It has the factory Harmon/Kardon 7.1 440 watt system w/ a factory coaxial center channel. Should I look into replacing that also? Do you think this is do-able or am I playing with fire?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
youd need to know a few things

1) how much power is going to the front speakers,and the tweeters off the stock amp

2) if the amp has its own crossovers, or do the stock speakers have resistors on them to keep certain frequencies out

3) youd need to know the impedance of the stock speakers so that you can know what power at what impedance youd get most power out of that stock amp

so basically you need a multimeter

and or if you dont want to change out the stock HU, youll need to get a high end LOC, (line output converter-4channel --see david navone ne477v) to run a aftermarket 4/6 channel amplifier--preferably one that has bandpass abilities

or some other outboard crossover

and i said 6 channel just in case you wanted to keep the center channel :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to have to check that all out, and yes I absolutely want to hold onto the center channel in the dash. The factory HU in the Benz is all one part w/ the 7" Nav. /DVD/TV screen, so it cannot be replaced with another piece. Thanks so much for all of your help you and everyone on this site is awesome. I am nowhere nearly as experienced as most on here (obviously), but I want to get the best SQ possible in my new Benz. I will talk to him and see how he can help me regarding the amp/LOC, and x-overs.

·
Registered
989 Posts
For a system of this caliber, this might be a perfect candidate for the JL Cleansweep. It will flatten out all the preset eq'ing of the factory system and give your amps a clean signal to work with.

I'd run a new amp too. Chances are the 440 watts are probaly max, and that is devided between 7 different speakers. I would run the Seas Lotus Reference set using the passive crossovers unless you plan on getting a good 3 way crossover. But it sounds like you want to keep this as simple as possible?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.