DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie who doesn't intend on getting too deep into this other than knowing how to set my receiver's controls. My professional installer set the gain, etc.

Real quick I have a Kenwood DPX501BT receiver and a Kenwood X700-5 5 channel amp, Kenwood KFC-xw1000F 10" slim subwoofer in trunk, Kicker 40CSS654 6 1/2" component speakers system in front, and Kicker 40CS654 6 1/2" 2-way speakers in the back.

The installer powered everything with the 5 channel amp and I have been fiddling with the controls trying to learn how to set the best sound.

The receiver's factory setting has LPF subwoofer at "Through" and the HPF at "Through." Although I believe this setting is dangerous for the subwoofer, it provides the richest, crisp sound. I set the preset eq to Natural which has subwoofer, bass, mid, and tre at 0. The bass boost is off, loudness is off, subwoofer set is on, and sound recnstr is off. The volume offset is 0 (-8 to 0).
I tried setting the LPF subwoofer at all three settings: 85 hz, 120 hz, and 160 hz, and it sounds thin while driving but okay when parked. The "Through" sounds the best in all situations.
I noticed that if I set my LPF subwoofer to let's say 85 hz, and the HPF to let's say 100 hz, the entire system sounds super thin with NO bass.
So right now I'm listening with the low and high passes set at "Through" and I like it. Is this dangerous for the subwoofer?

Should I go talk to the installer about all this? Thank you for helping an amateur enthusiast figure this out. I wish the receiver manual had more detail in their instructions. :worried:

·
Registered
247 Posts
How many subs? Possibly out of phase. Since all you filters are set to though at the head unit I'm assuming your setting the co at the amp correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did nothing. The professional installer did everything for me. I believe the amp is inside the subwoofer enclosure in the trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
One subwoofer in an enclosure. No, setting the co at the receiver. I will ask my installer to explain how he wired the system, etc. Obviously best course of action. Any suggestions what I ask?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Your amp has high and low pass filters and your installer probably used those instead of the filters in your head unit. Check your amp's filters, if they've been set correctly, leave your head unit on "through".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to my installer and yes, he did set the bypass filters in the amp so that's why it sounds best using "Through" on my head unit. Thank you everyone for your responses to my post. I am very happy with my car stereo now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts