DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been reading up on running active and passive setups and I'm still somewhat confused on it all.

So I got a new car about a month ago ('11 wrx sedan) and I was thinking about trying a active setup but not sure what all I need to make it happen and here is what I have so far but nothing is installed. Eclipse AVN726e deck, CDT ES-620 2-way 6.5 w/ ES-200 crossover, jl audio HD900/5, IDQ 10 and a audio control 2XS.

How would I set everything up and if I needed to purchase additional equipment what would I need?

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Would love to help.. but that means I have to google your stuff to find out about it. Why dont you provide the main specs for us so it makes our job of helping you a bit easier!

For example, what is the audio control 2XS? Does your deck have sub outputs or other built in crossovers?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the deck has three 5Volt pre amp out front, rear and sub. As far as crossovers I'm not sure... It has a 3 band eq bass,mid,treb. The 2XS is a 2 channel electronic crossover made by audio control. CDT es-620 is a 6.5" 2-way with 1" tweets.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/download/manual/avn726e_en/avn/index.html

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-1109-es-620-cdt-audio-eurosport-65-2-way-component-speakers.aspx

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok so your deck already has a subwoofer out and therefore at least a low pass filter for the sub. Why dont you read the manual and see if it also has a high pass for the front and rears? If so then the 2SX is redundant! Even if the deck does not have high pass, 90% of the amps out there do have a LP/HP adjustment.

So if you want to go active you will still need an electronic crossover for the fronts. Dont bother active for the rears. and of course enough amp channels

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so your deck already has a subwoofer out and therefore at least a low pass filter for the sub. Why dont you read the manual and see if it also has a high pass for the front and rears? If so then the 2SX is redundant! Even if the deck does not have high pass, 90% of the amps out there do have a LP/HP adjustment.

So if you want to go active you will still need an electronic crossover for the fronts. Dont bother active for the rears. and of course enough amp channels
So i found this on a review website:

"To have only a 3 band EQ, no Q adjustment, no parametric, no high pass crossovers, and only “on” or “off” for the subwoofer low pass filter is simply weak sauce in my book"

So that being said I will be using a jl audio HD900/5 which is 100 x 4 @ 4ohm + 500 x 1 @ 4ohm.

On the woofersect website it says the power handling is 150w does that mean each speaker can handle 150w? or a pair can handle 150w which = 75w each?

And im guessing all i would need now would be a 4 ch EQ? one ch. for each speaker? And I will not be running any rear speakers so each of my front end could have its own channel. Thanks for your patients as I have never attempted to run active and im still learning how everything wires up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
it is 150 watts per woofer/tweeter pair with the crossover.
Why dont you just run it as is with the CDT crossover? run separate wiring for mids and tweets to where you have your amp so you can upgrade to active in the future. Listen to them as is, see how you like them!
But if you go active you will need an 2 channel active crossover, L and Right in, with Right high and low out plus Left high and low out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is 150 watts per woofer/tweeter pair with the crossover.
Why dont you just run it as is with the CDT crossover? run separate wiring for mids and tweets to where you have your amp so you can upgrade to active in the future. Listen to them as is, see how you like them!
But if you go active you will need an 2 channel active crossover, L and Right in, with Right high and low out plus Left high and low out.
I had them running passive in my truck and I liked how they sounded but I just wanted to try something new. Do you have any experience with the CDT speakers I have? I thought they were good when I bought them but now im not to sure because I dont see many people running CDT on this forum.

Do you know a model name/number of a some what high end 2 channel active crossover so I could check it out and see what I need.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I havent listened to CDT, but they have a fine reputation. European, maybe simply they dont have extensive distribution in north america.

·
Registered
243 Posts
do you know a decent 2 channel active crossover i could look up?
try a google search! check out ebay under car electronics. Do some homework and learn something on your own instead of just asking for all the answers!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Check out the JL 450/4

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can it be done with the 900/5? If not I'm not going to buy another amp and ill go passive.

Sent from tapatalk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts