DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an IDQ 12 D4 V4 and a Rockford Fosgate R500x1d. It replaced my tired, old IDQ 12 V2 and JBL BP600.1.

When I was setting the gains, I noticed that at times I would hear a rattling sound from the sub. I assumed I was upping the gain too much, and backed it off. The problem is that the output seems awful low.

I have my volume knob set to the same position as I did with my old setup, but the output isn’t as loud. I have my front speakers turned down to blend with the output of my sub. My old amp was putting out 300 watts at 4 ohms (single voice coil sub), this new amp has a birth certificate showing 625 watts at 2 ohms (dual voice coil sub). If I turn the gain up on the amp while playing rock music, I can get the output and punch that I expect, but then I can hear a bit of rattle, so I back it off.

I upgraded equipment so that I had more power, plus newer equipment and hopefully a bit more volume. So far, my older equipment seemed to perform better. I can have a conversation with my volume set it’s highest setting. That wasn’t the case before, so something isn’t right.

Here is what confuses me and makes me think my sub may have an issue. I just happened to tap my finger on the cone of the sub, and I heard a small rattle sound. The sub moves freely if I manually move it, and it sounds fine for the most part. I’m wondering if the rattle I’m hearing is something loose such as the dust cap? The tinsel leads are woven into the spider, so it couldn’t be slapping from that.

I expected more from this setup and I’m wondering if what I thought was my sub reaching its limits, was just something else causing this rattle and that my sub can actually handle a bit more than it seems? I’d hate to blow this sub already, but I just feel that there is so much more to be had.

I tried reaching out to Image Dynamics, but I have yet to hear back and it’s been almost a week. This is the second time I’ve contacted them with no response. That never happened when Eric and Matt were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
First and easiest question to answer. Are you 100% sure you wired it correctly?
This doesn't sound like a wiring issue, but its the first step to confirm its wired at the sub and at the amp correctly.

Then its important to confirm the XO settings are correct.

Finally box size and is it 100% sealed.

I would want to rule all those out before thinking it was a bad sub.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
The new IDQ is pretty power hungry. My v4 sure is. And what size is your box? This sub is quite the air pig. It specs for over 3 cubes for a .7 alignment. I had mine in 1.4 stuffed with polyfil and it still didn't act like it was quite enough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First and easiest question to answer. Are you 100% sure you wired it correctly?

This doesn't sound like a wiring issue, but its the first step to confirm its wired at the sub and at the amp correctly.

Then its important to confirm the XO settings are correct.

Finally box size and is it 100% sealed.

I would want to rule all those out before thinking it was a bad sub.

Yes, I did check my wiring and it is correct.

The crossover isn’t marked, so I’m not sure of my exact setting, but I tried getting it close to the 80-100 area. I set the front speaker amp crossover slightly higher to avoid overlap.

Box is sealed. I originally built it to the audiophile size of 2.0 cu ft, but it didn’t like it, so I made filler out of left over mdf and brought it to 1.5 cu ft. I was planning to add more to see how 1.0 cu ft sounded.

The only place I could maybe see there being a possible air leak would be the sub itself. I suppose air could leak between the carpet on the box and the sub basket.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
The new IDQ is pretty power hungry. My v4 sure is. And what size is your box? This sub is quite the air pig. It specs for over 3 cubes for a .7 alignment. I had mine in 1.4 stuffed with polyfil and it still didn't act like it was quite enough.
agreed on the power, i bought 4 IDQ8's and gave them 1200watts total and they made no noise at all so i sold them. i prefer the ID model line at least in recent years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I started out at 2.0 cu ft, but I didn’t like how it sounded. It really lacked punch but it did get low! I added filler to bring it to 1.5 and that helped introduce more punch from kick drums, but it still can get low. I thought about 1.0 that ID recommends.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I started out at 2.0 cu ft, but I didn’t like how it sounded. It really lacked punch but it did get low! I added filler to bring it to 1.5 and that helped introduce more punch from kick drums, but it still can get low. I thought about 1.0 that ID recommends.

This subwoofer leans hard to the SQ side of things. It's one of the last subs I'd choose for pounding the pavement. Was also the easiest sub I've ever used to get up on the dash with the rest of the sound. Switched to a Dayton ho12d4 in .6 sealed on the same power and it shakes my truck like crazy but not what the IDQ was for reference grade SQ. Still sounds good but if I competed the IDQ would be going back in in as much box as it needed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This subwoofer leans hard to the SQ side of things. It's one of the last subs I'd choose for pounding the pavement. Was also the easiest sub I've ever used to get up on the dash with the rest of the sound. Switched to a Dayton ho12d4 in .6 sealed on the same power and it shakes my truck like crazy but not what the IDQ was for reference grade SQ. Still sounds good but if I competed the IDQ would be going back in in as much box as it needed.

I might have to get a different speaker then. I was hoping to get nice, clean, tight bass with impact. I’m not looking to pound super hard, but I’d like to feel the kick drum. My wife has a punch 10 in her car and while it thumps hard, it’s almost exaggerated. It’s way too much for me. I was hoping to get a more natural sounding impact, if that makes sense.

If I up the gain to where I think it should be, it starts sounding damn good! I’m just afraid of potentially doing damage. I beat the shit out of my old IDQ that I just replaced. It’s been around since 2000-2001 or so and it’s been a trooper. I figured the newer model would be even more so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I might have to get a different speaker then. I was hoping to get nice, clean, tight bass with impact. I’m not looking to pound super hard, but I’d like to feel the kick drum. My wife has a punch 10 in her car and while it thumps hard, it’s almost exaggerated. It’s way too much for me. I was hoping to get a more natural sounding impact, if that makes sense.

If I up the gain to where I think it should be, it starts sounding damn good! I’m just afraid of potentially doing damage. I beat the shit out of my old IDQ that I just replaced. It’s been around since 2000-2001 or so and it’s been a trooper. I figured the newer model would be even more so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts