DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is to install a wood panel over my rear deck to mount my speakers to instead of mounting them to the metal.
Aesthetics for one along with sound deadening and it will fit in with another project I have planned.

My question is, what should or could I cover the speakers with?
I'm going to stain the wood so its an aesthetic piece and the obtrusive supllied speaker grills are not an option.

If I under mount the speakers and use a cloth or fabric to cover just the cut outs, how could I go about securing that in place without it looking unfinished?

I figure to use a thin veneered plywood stained.

So as I'm typing, I imagine something like a trim ring cut to fit the opening snugly with a cloth stretched and stapled/glued over it so when its pressed in to the cutout it will finish flush with the rest of the rear panel.

Any better ideas, techniques or materials? Also, if there is a better thread about this, I would appreciate being directed to it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So as I'm typing, I imagine something like a trim ring cut to fit the opening snugly with a cloth stretched and stapled/glued over it so when its pressed in to the cutout it will finish flush with the rest of the rear panel.
Thanks guys.
Your on the right track, this is really the best way to accomplish what you want with the least amount of time/trouble. Basically, make sure the wood you use is thick enough or mounted high enough to recess the speaker but allow the grill to sit flush. You will need to make sure you have a lip around your speaker grill, don’t just have a flat circle as you need it to fit tight between the speaker and the wood because you won’t have any sold way to mount it.

Simplified answer, use the same basic technique that is used when designing speaker pods for doors/kick panels, only difference is, your “plate” will be a long board but the speaker and grill will still need to fit down in it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts