DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were running an amp at lower impedance it should be run could you just run a long run of smaller gauge wire to the driver, and increase the resistance load as seen by the amp?

I have never heard of anyone doing this but dont know why it wouldnt work....especially if you were to meter the resistance and choose a length and gauge that would match the impedance you were seeking.

Tell me I am crazy???

~JH

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If you needed more resistance without wiring additional drivers in series why not do the obvious and replace the drivers, or use resistors? I'm not saying to use resistors, as I think that's a dumb idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would obviously say replacing drivers would be best, and far more to the point. Never seen it done before but I don't see why a resistor wouldn't work, it would be more to the point than using the length of the wire to add resistance. I feel like there's a good reason not to do it but it seems logical.

Do it and tell us what happens! :laugh:

·
Registered
75 Posts
lol, what you are talking about is the same as using a light bulb to limit current, which has been done commercially........ the thing is- you get tons of heat, and using wire as a thermister only changes the wires value, and then it will limit even more current, and aside formit being dangerous, it just won't do for long at all, and give you crappy output that will quiclky decline when you push it. simply, just change your ohm load by changing the ohm load, not by trying to build a ghetto choke.

·
Registered
898 Posts
BAD IDEA!

A. Buy a appropriate resistor

B. Different speaker

C. Different amp

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
It would also change the overall electrical Q of the speaker speaker system.
The impedance curve would be crazy.
And you would would have to use like 1000 feet of 16ga speaker wire.
Use a different sub.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
running impedance low to gain power will mean NOTHING, if you use a "resistance" to achieve your nominal ohm value...

Resistance is the opposition to current and it's usually drawn in the form of heat...

So why would you want your power being used as heat, rather than cone movement?

Adding dead resistance is lowering the efficiency of the system

1 - 7 of 7 Posts