DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there some best practices pro's use that can be shared for creating a grounding attachment (bolt, terminal, etc) to a spot where there is no existing method to bolt down to it? Example: Just bare trunk floor sheet metal. I imagine methods beyond just a self-tapping screw-down job.. Or if that's the case, what hardware, etc.

Mission:
Attach a common ground 1/0 to chassis with short lead from a ground distro block which gets the ground leads from all (amps, processor, and in my case even the head unit and pac swi).. Everything to common point.

Near the distro in wheel well... Just sheet metal. I can run a few feet back to next to a seat where there's a factory ground spot, however, it'd be great to simply ground right near the rack to the metal itself.

One tool known to me for attachment is a rivetnut tool which is awesome for putting a threaded insert into sheet metal to fasten to. However I suspect it wouldn't be as good of an electrical connection as something like an unpainted surface with a good ring terminal directly against it for best continuity.

Discuss. :D

· Registered
135 Posts
Personally i like to grind a spot bare and install a grounding lug like this

Then I will heat the lug with a heat gun or propane torch until I can sweat some silver solder around the edge of the lug. Never had an issue with this. Although I would never advise doing this near the gas tank. Specifically in a coupe vehicle where the gas tank is under the rear seats.

· Registered
333 Posts
I think nutserts will only work as long as the inside diameter of the ring is large enough to clear the lip of the nutsert and thick enough to be taller than the lip so the washer on the bolt will hold it down.

· Banned
6,112 Posts
first, use a measurement.

decide if the ground point can withstand extreme amperage, then do due diligence.

some body panels aren't good as grounds.

some are.

how would you know?

what could you do to make your ground the best?

always strive for perfection.

excellence is achievable?

· Registered
1,903 Posts
I run a 1/0 wire to the rear negative distroblock. Me likes copper over jigsaw puzzle parts welded together. Just to be fair the wire does not extend to the battery terminal, it is grounded at the same chassis point as the battery negative to chassis.

I have read somewhere that the front end of the rear tire pan tends to be a good spot to ground to. I also prefer to nut and bolt whenever possible.

· Registered
1,850 Posts
As much as this USED to be preached against, I've had perfect results and never any noise or any oddities going all the way back to the battery. It will cost you in wire is the only drawback.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Personally i like to grind a spot bare and install a grounding lug like this

Then I will heat the lug with a heat gun or propane torch until I can sweat some silver solder around the edge of the lug. Never had an issue with this. Although I would never advise doing this near the gas tank. Specifically in a coupe vehicle where the gas tank is under the rear seats.
I've been meaning to pickup a few of these to try out. Are you just using shelf tapping screws to secure them down or nuts and bolts through the other side of the ground points metal?

OP, I like to find a factory bolt to start off with such as a seat belt secure point. If not I move on to other locations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.