DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
FWIW- When I did my 1/0 connectors, I used a vice to squeeze the connector until the split overlapped, then turned the piece 90 degrees and hit it with a hammer.

Shrink tube and done. :)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Circa40 has one of those and it seems to work great...... I used a buddies bolt cutter style, but honestly from now on I am just going to heat up a bunch of solder inside the opening and then put the wire in..... then the connectors still look perfectly round, especially with heat shrink around it

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Circa40 has one of those and it seems to work great...... I used a buddies bolt cutter style, but honestly from now on I am just going to heat up a bunch of solder inside the opening and then put the wire in..... then the connectors still look perfectly round, especially with heat shrink around it
I do something similar using regular gold plated connectors. Usually the gold plated connectors have a split in the barrel for the wire. I bend one side down into the wire with and then squueze the other side down and solder everything.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'll save my money and not buy the tool. I'll just do it like I did in the past.

·
Banned
244 Posts
lots of solder...no need to crimp a thing

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have the tool posted on the top and it works friggin nice. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy one from wleding supply since that is where I got mine. From the countless threads I have read on crimp vs solder, it is better to crimp. This is a cheap easy way to get descent crimping results. I think it is definitely good enough for the average person.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have read on crimp vs solder, it is better to crimp.
Maybe that is what *a* book says somewhere, there are books out there and they say both, in reality soldering works better in the majority of applications... especially if you are a diyer and are going to do two connections.

I have my samples of crimped vs. solder coming back from the lab ( I sent some out to an electron microscope) The results should put the debate to rest for good.

·
4,981 Posts
i had that tool at my shop before, was one of the least used things ever hehe, it worked fine though but then again, if you are going to use a hammer anyway, why not just do it on the floor with a hammer hehe...

nowdays, i do it hammer style on the floor with a slight dab of CA glue as added security, but mots of the time 1/0 of mine goes with set screw or locking connectors...

b

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have the tool in the 1st post. I think I only paid $14 shipped for it and I think it was worth it.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
One thing about those tools is that when you position the lug, it's best to crimp closer to the insert end (not too close!) then the eyelet side. Then if you want you can double crimp after that first crimp. If not you take the risk of crimping over the end of the cable and it getting squeezed out ruining the crimp job.

Double crimp = crimping further up on the same side of the lug but on a fresh part if possible

1 - 20 of 79 Posts