DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what people use to crimp their heavy gauge wire end terminals?
also where can you buy one (chain store that would also be in canada)

thanks

randy

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Clamp, solder, connect, done!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have been soldering my larger connectors.
1-I buy the connectors that are closed on the terminal side
2-Rub a little flux on the inside walls.
3-Heat up the connector with a torch while I put solder inside until it is 1/2 to 3/4 full, depending on the fit of the wire.
4-Put flux on the wire and heat it up with a torch so it gets absorbed into the wire.
5-Heat up the terminal until the solder melts and slowly insert the wire. If you do it right a little solder will spill over the side.
6-Hold the torch a little longer to make sure you don't have a cold weld and you a do.

If I had a crimper, I would use that.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guy lots of great ideas!
as far as soldering goes, well, I suck:eek:
I have tried the vise method and my be I am doing it wrong... the end termination still manages to get loose... is there a "best" spot to crimp? near where the wire is at the furthest in, or where the wire first enters the end terminator or both?

thanks

randy

·
Registered
378 Posts
thanks guy lots of great ideas!
as far as soldering goes, well, I suck:eek:
I have tried the vise method and my be I am doing it wrong... the end termination still manages to get loose... is there a "best" spot to crimp? near where the wire is at the furthest in, or where the wire first enters the end terminator or both?

thanks

randy
The vise is not effective, the wire WILL find its way out...period

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Solder adds resistance. Whether its a measurable amount or not who really knows. I use a 12 ton hydraulic crimper. Keeps the round shape of the lug terminal so it makes as much contact as possible with the cable. The one I found on eBay for $130 comes with sizes 8awg to 4/0. Easy fast and clean.

I weigh 250 lbs and I have hung from a cable and terminal I've crimped. The only way it's coming out is if you're towing with it. And even then, I think the cable might break first.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Put connector in vise or pliers. Heat up fitting with butane torch, and fill 1/2 way with solder. Keep torch one fitting keeping solder molten. Insert stripped wire into connector, and continue heating for 15 seconds.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I have no idea WTF you guys are talking about with the vise crimped wires failing. Mine don't. They just don't. When I "crimped" 4 gauge for the very first time and I had essentially no tools, I tried to just hammer it closed. That didn't work. But the vise works perfectly, and I do test my crimps. I don't claim it to be the best way to crimp but what you guys are describing is NOT what happens when I use my vise to crimp... period.

Not telling you not to buy a Swedge-On tool, though. They're nice for sure.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts