DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased one sub and plan on putting it in my 2009 dodge charger. I need on what amp I should get? Should I upgrade alternator?Do I need an extra battery? Thanks

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Tru Technology, Brax, McIntosh, Audison, Sinfoni, Genesis, Arc Audio, Zapco, Zuki, JL Audio, etc.....that should probably get you started on your research

·
Registered
665 Posts
The issue with matching up power to that sub in a higher quality amplifier will be the dual 1.5ohm coils. You'll need to look at an amplifier's 3ohm power rating, and most amps won't want to be driven at 0.7ohm. The Arc SE4000 should provide you with a solid 1800+Wrms, but it's physically large. Rockford T2500-1dbCP would have plent of power, even at 3ohm. JL HD1200/1 would provide about 1200W, and it's quite small.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea tell me about it...I was thinking about buying a critical mass UL-A2500 v2.0
but didn't want to waste that kind of money for nothing.

·
Registered
665 Posts
how much power are you really looking to apply to this beast? and what have you been thinking for enclosure design?
sealed? ported? glassed in a corner? tirewell? or forward firing sealed off from the trunk to eliminate trunk rattles?

·
Registered
665 Posts
At that power level, I definitely suggest adding a 2nd battery. Does you Charger have the spare tire? or just an empty tire well? If no spare, or you don't need it because you have AAA or something I would put the battery down there. Something like a Stinger SPP1700 or SPV70.

An upgraded alternator would be a good idea, but may not be absolutely necessary. I would only do it if you're getting a good quality one like Mechman or XS Power. If you were just getting an upgraded one from Advanced Auto or having one "rewound" at a local shop, then don't waste your time and money.

If you're looking for sound quality, I would suggest forward firing the enclosure and sealing everything from the trunk, this can still be done with a ported enclosure in that car, especially if you have the fold-down rear seats.
Or if you aren't worried about trunk rattles and such, you can just throw a ported box in there quick, cheap, and easy.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I ran mine off a older jbl gt2400 for awhile, worked pretty well in 1.65 cuft. sealed.

Doubt you would need more output that, its pretty gnarly

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks I just want to have everything lined up and ready when I have installed
2 other amps I was considering buying for this sub is........ Massive Audio D8000 1 Channel
And Soundstream XXX-10000d Car
Thoughts????

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
My thought is that if you put any of those amps on that sub the sub wont last a minute.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Yea but its max is 5000 so I think at least 2500 won't push it to far
The max is probably short term power handling. Cut it in half at least.

It doesn't matter anyway, max power handling has nothing to do with sensitivity. That's just the thermal power handling of the voice coil. I bet 500w will get plenty loud as long as it's in the proper enclosure. 1200w is all you would ever need. I'm partial to the JL HD series. Small size, efficient, low noise floor, reliable, etc.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks I just want to have everything lined up and ready when I have installed
2 other amps I was considering buying for this sub is........ Massive Audio D8000 1 Channel
And Soundstream XXX-10000d Car
Thoughts????
I think a couple of those amps will be too large to practically fit in your vehicle.
as far as having everything lined up and ready when you have it installed, that makes me, as an employee at a local shop, curious as to who you are planning to have install this system.

·
Registered
665 Posts
also, which factory setup you and have what has already been changed in the vehicle and what else you are planning on changing from factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The max is probably short term power handling. Cut it in half at least.

It doesn't matter anyway, max power handling has nothing to do with sensitivity. That's just the thermal power handling of the voice coil. I bet 500w will get plenty loud as long as it's in the proper enclosure. 1200w is all you would ever need. I'm partial to the JL HD series. Small size, efficient, low noise floor, reliable, etc.
The guy when I talk to at crutchfield said that I need an amp to put out at least 2500w at 3 ohms

1 - 20 of 64 Posts