DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a friend that selling a set of Dynaudio 242GT at fairly a good price. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with a crossover. Is there an alternative crossover that I can give to use with it?
To get the original dynaudio crossover, it cost like $289. That's too much for me. I looking somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-150.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The 240GT and 242GT sound better active, of course - but they also sound better with a handmade crossover using better components than the Dynaudio.

Because of the very low impedance peaks of the 102 and 242GT drivers, there is not much impedance matching needed, nor much in the way of notch filtering, etc.

I have somewhere the passive networks I used to run the 242GT in my allroad. 6dB LP to the 242GT, air coil rather than iron-core, larger gauge wire, optimized for value of Z at desired Fs. 12dB HP to tweeter, same optimization, I think it's a Musicap cap, air-core coil, larger gauge wire.

If you're interested and you are not convinced to go active by the barrage you are about to receive, let me know and I will dig them up. They are not in boxes or on breadboards or anything...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm don't know much about setting Active, so for now running passive is fine for me. As long the crossover sound nearly as good as the original that came with the 242GT, I will be happy with it. How much are you willing to sell your crossover that run the 242GT?

The 240GT and 242GT sound better active, of course - but they also sound better with a handmade crossover using better components than the Dynaudio.

Because of the very low impedance peaks of the 102 and 242GT drivers, there is not much impedance matching needed, nor much in the way of notch filtering, etc.

I have somewhere the passive networks I used to run the 242GT in my allroad. 6dB LP to the 242GT, air coil rather than iron-core, larger gauge wire, optimized for value of Z at desired Fs. 12dB HP to tweeter, same optimization, I think it's a Musicap cap, air-core coil, larger gauge wire.

If you're interested and you are not convinced to go active by the barrage you are about to receive, let me know and I will dig them up. They are not in boxes or on breadboards or anything...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.