DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the crossover i got has a high-pass band-pass and low-pass but i need a high-pass band-pass and another band-pass

my question is can i use the lowpass on my crossover and my highpass on my amplifier to create another bandpass channel?

seems like it will work

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Yep, should work no problem

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Wait, I just re-read that, and I'm kinda confused... something something forrest for the trees...

If you use the LP on your Xover, you will only send lows to the amp... HP wouldn't function..

I think you would have to used them in reverse? Set the HP as low as possible, to get from the crossover point UP, then set the LP as high as possible to get the top end of the bandpass... yes?

I'm so confused ATM... lol..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, i just got a Audiocontrol DQT for my eq and a DXS for my x-over

im looking to run my 3 way comps off of it

the dxs has 3 sets of channels. 1st is the h-pass for the tweets... all is good. 2nd is the bandpass for the mids ...again, all is good. 3rd is a lowpass which i want to use for my mid bass ...... here is my problem

im wondering if my 3rd set is lowpassed at 200hz (pulling a random number out) then it will play everything below 200hz... a midbass with 20hz run to it wouldnt be the best idea so i want to use the amps internal crossover to take the signal that is already LP'd at 200hz and turn around and highpass it at 80hz so that the only signals going to the speaker would be between 80-200hz

better?

·
Registered
636 Posts
the crossover i got has a high-pass band-pass and low-pass but i need a high-pass band-pass and another band-pass

my question is can i use the lowpass on my crossover and my highpass on my amplifier to create another bandpass channel?

seems like it will work
yes.

it makes sense to me.

you want to employ the existing low pass filter on the crossover in conjunction with a high pass filter on your amplifier to create a bandpass of frequencies for your midbass (I assume).

this will work fine.

however, I would not suggest cascading passive crossovers. you can get some strange phase issues due to the phase changes inherent to passive crossovers. active crossovers (such as those built into amps) do not have these problems.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Do you have a plan for running your subs?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
ok, i just got a Audiocontrol DQT for my eq and a DXS for my x-over

im looking to run my 3 way comps off of it

the dxs has 3 sets of channels. 1st is the h-pass for the tweets... all is good. 2nd is the bandpass for the mids ...again, all is good. 3rd is a lowpass which i want to use for my mid bass ...... here is my problem

im wondering if my 3rd set is lowpassed at 200hz (pulling a random number out) then it will play everything below 200hz... a midbass with 20hz run to it wouldnt be the best idea so i want to use the amps internal crossover to take the signal that is already LP'd at 200hz and turn around and highpass it at 80hz so that the only signals going to the speaker would be between 80-200hz

better?

Yes, that will work. You're basically Low-passing the signal going to your amp, then High-passing it from the amp to create a bandpass. The only potential issue is slope. You will typically want all your slopes to match across all bands, and if your amp has a fixed-slope filter at say -12db/oct, you're forced to set all your other slopes at -12db/oct on the AudioControl unit. You don't want to run two different slopes, especially to create that bandpass. Hopefully the xover on your amp has variable slopes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, the amp has 12 or 24 slope

the sub is lowpassed via the amp at 80hz

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes, that will work. You're basically Low-passing the signal going to your amp, then High-passing it from the amp to create a bandpass. The only potential issue is slope. You will typically want all your slopes to match across all bands, and if your amp has a fixed-slope filter at say -12db/oct, you're forced to set all your other slopes at -12db/oct on the AudioControl unit. You don't want to run two different slopes, especially to create that bandpass. Hopefully the xover on your amp has variable slopes.
I don't know where you got that information, but it is false.

Running different slopes is fine. It is in fact required to achieve the best sound quality. Each driver will work optimally at different slopes.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts

Running different slopes is fine. It is in fact required to achieve the best sound quality. Each driver will work optimally at different slopes.
I am far from an expert on the subject, but you may want to back up your statement with a bit more than "you're wrong." Stating that not only is it okay, but that it's required to achieve the best sound quality is subjective at best. I bet there are a lot of guys both here and competing who have been missing out on "lots of SQ" by running the same slopes between drivers; you should definitely enlighten us. Each driver may very well work optimally at different slopes individually, but from what I understand, slopes essentially impact phase. If you have a mid's LPF on a -12db/oct slope and are crossing the tweeters in at a -18db/oct slope, they would be 90* out of phase, correct? This can cause cancellation issues, etc.

I don't mind being publicly corrected, and if I am wrong, I apologize for providing bad information to the OP. But if you're going to call me out, provide the correct detailed information that contradicts my statements so we can all learn something, rather than making some arbitrary comment based on something you learned while pursuing the major under your username.

Maybe Chad or MVM can step in and set the record straight.

·
Registered
465 Posts

That is not correct either, that is going to be dependent on so many factors you cannot say it ill sound better at different slopes

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FIGHT!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts