DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already ordered a pair of G18RNX/p and plan on ordering the LPG 25NFA tweeters shortly. I'm going to also order a Dayton passive crossover from parts express and I'm curious on which crossover point to use. The crossover points available are, 2khz, 2.5khz, 3khz, 3.5khz, and 4.5khz. Which would give a good transition for these two drivers?

·
Registered
693 Posts
i have the ca18's and 25nfa's. dont know if it would make a difference with the g18 but the ca18's run from 63-2.5 khz with 12 db slopes on both ends and the lpg's run from 3.2 khz and up. with an 18 db slope. seems to work good.

·
Registered
242 Posts
crossover points will vary vehicle to vehicle. Play with different xover / slopes, but keep it within that driver's optimal freq range.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
But he is asking the question about which setpoint will work best. He is referring to a FIXED setpoint via the Parts Express passive xover unit. He can only choose one configuration, so he needs to know which one will work best...

·
Registered
74 Posts
daitrong said:
crossover points will vary vehicle to vehicle. Play with different xover / slopes, but keep it within that driver's optimal freq range.

Like he said, "crossover points will varry." You might be able to add a cap/coil to change the crossover points, but now it starts to become "not so fun". Just pick the closest ones and give it a shot. You could also add resistance to speaker to change to crossover points.

·
Registered
242 Posts
AzGrower said:
But he is asking the question about which setpoint will work best. He is referring to a FIXED setpoint via the Parts Express passive xover unit. He can only choose one configuration, so he needs to know which one will work best...
exactly, it's not wise imo to buy a passive xover without playing with the xover poinst in a car first. You're basically shooting in the dark. Play with the xover points in you car first then decide from there.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
How is going to play with the xover points? Buy multiple units, then return the ones that didnt work? I understand the principle of what you are trying to state, but I dont understand your logic on how he can achieve it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
3.5 k is my guess with an 18 db or higher slope for the lpg like mini-t- stated - 12 db might be a bit too much for higher listening levels,the g-rnx looks decent up to 4k, so you have some flexability there, appologize to state the obvious. if you have to use passives remember you can find some decent car passives on ebay wich use very similar slopes and some adj. like tweeter diff. levels and etc-usually cost effective and might just give you better results.

·
Registered
242 Posts
AzGrower said:
How is going to play with the xover points? Buy multiple units, then return the ones that didnt work? I understand the principle of what you are trying to state, but I dont understand your logic on how he can achieve it.
I was thining more along the lines of saving the money and putting it towards an external xover. It's like 100 bucks for a preassembled xover from madisound. The price of a coustic 2way xover on ebay is in the 50-70 dollar range.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
Or you can just buy a good active electronic crossover for cheap and not have to worry about it.

What headunit are you using?
Yup, most AudioControl 4xs units go for about $75 or so on Ebay.

Parts Express units are only like $10 each, so why are you quoting $100 units from Madisound for??

·
Registered
530 Posts
i agree with the active x-over,outboard or deck driven,if he doesnt have 4 channels he will need to go back to the passive option,but 100.00 on pe cheap crossovers is pretty crazy!!i wonder if andrew is still reading these posts?! ufc diymobileaudio

·
Registered
242 Posts
AzGrower said:
Parts Express units are only like $10 each, so why are you quoting $100 units from Madisound for??
passive Crossovers don't improve sq, but surely a bad passive can degrade it. I've purchased single caps for more than 10 dollars and you're recommending him to get a 10 dollar xover?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I'm still reading. Here's the deal, I have a 4 channel Kicker 800.4 but the way it's set up power wise, it seems it'd be best to go passive. If I run active, the tweets will be getting the same amount of power as the G18 will which would be 50 RMS or so @ 8 ohms. If I run passive, I can bridge the two channels and run then at 200 RMS @ 8 ohms split between the two drivers. It just seems logical to me that I need to go passive with my current setup.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
daitrong said:
passive Crossovers don't improve sq, but surely a bad passive can degrade it. I've purchased single caps for more than 10 dollars and you're recommending him to get a 10 dollar xover?
Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to start a piss war here, BUT show me where I RECOMMENDED anything, just trying to help clarify mane...but anywho, here is what PE has listed as far as passive, pre-built units. And lets not forget this is a DIY site, in which most of the equipment costs pennies on the dollar compared to their respective "brand name" counterparts. So how many of the members are using a $26 tweeter (LPGs) in place of one that costs many times more, say like a Dyn MD100? So lets not degrade a $10 xover unit... :rolleyes:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-174
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-198

·
Registered
242 Posts
AzGrower said:
lol, funny

Seriously, are you arguing for the sake of arguing or in the best interest of the thread starter? I'am underestimating that xover for a reason! That's because they just plain suck! My friend purchased similar units last november and they plain suck! 2nd order cut, cheap parts, and one of the caps end up breaking off. Why don't you buy a pair and come back when you've actually had experience with it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
DO YOU GUYS LIVE TOGETHER?!! :p J/K NICE THING ABOUT THIS FORUM IS THE INFO IS USUALLY BASED FROM THE EXPERIENCE OF THE MEMBER USING THE PRODUCT OR A SIMILAR PRODUCT BEING WRITTEN ABOUT,ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE RESULTS ALWAYS HAS VARIABLES,NOT ONLY ARE THE VEHICLES DIFFERENT BUT EVERYTHING FROM EXPECTATIONS OF THE USER ,TO MOUNTING LOCATIONS ,AS ARE THE RESULTS PERCIEVED BY THE USER, :eek: I AM SHURE EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED INFO ON THIS BOARD IS POSTING WITH THE INTENT OF SHARING THEIR EXP. AND HELPING ,I KNOW I SAY STUFF ON THE BOARD POEPLE DONT AGREE WITH BUT I AM HONEST AND JUST SHARING WHAT WORKED FOR ME -WHATEVER THATS WORTH- :rolleyes: . DO LIKE FONZEE CHILL OK GUYS YOU CAN BASH ME FOR THIS POST

1 - 20 of 26 Posts