DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please point me to another thread if this has been heavily covered

i'm trying to figure out how the relationshop between mid/tweeter placement and crossover frequencies works.

i have to have my 6.5" woofer in the stock location in my doors...i'm debating between the stock tweeter location in the upper door or putting it in the kickpanel. I have not purchased drivers, but do have a CDA-9887, so time alignment and active crossovers are doable.

My question is....let's say I have a few scenarios:

Configuration A:
1) Mid low in door, Tweeter up high in door. The set likes to be crossed at 2k.
2) Mid low in door, Tweeter up high in door. The set likes to be crossed at 6k.

Configuration B:
1) Mid low in door, Tweeter in kick panel. The set likes to be crossed at 2k.
2) Mid low in door, Tweeter in kick panel. The set likes to be crossed at 6k.

Is there a rule of thumb for which crossover point would work best in those different configurations?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Configuration A:
1) Mid low in door, Tweeter up high in door. The set likes to be crossed at 2k.
2) Mid low in door, Tweeter up high in door. The set likes to be crossed at 6k.

Configuration B:
1) Mid low in door, Tweeter in kick panel. The set likes to be crossed at 2k.
2) Mid low in door, Tweeter in kick panel. The set likes to be crossed at 6k.

Is there a rule of thumb for which crossover point would work best in those different configurations?
options 1) and 2) are the same for each?

without getting into a huge debate over phase, freq response and 100 other factors. just use the factory recommendations and then tweak a little here and there until it sounds good. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
options 1) and 2) are the same for each?
the difference between the two configurations is tweeter placement. one puts the tweeter low and closer to the mid. one puts it high and away from the mid.

without getting into a huge debate over phase, freq response and 100 other factors. just use the factory recommendations and then tweak a little here and there until it sounds good. :)
no problem there...tweeter placement is my question. if i have a set of speakers that are recommended to cross at 6k and put the tweeter up high in the door, is that a lot better than a set that crosses at 2k....or is it worse?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
the difference between the two configurations is tweeter placement. one puts the tweeter low and closer to the mid. one puts it high and away from the mid.
config A and B differ, but 1) and 2) in each config are identical. are they different comp sets?

no problem there...tweeter placement is my question. if i have a set of speakers that are recommended to cross at 6k and put the tweeter up high in the door, is that a lot better than a set that crosses at 2k....or is it worse?
some of that comes right down to personal preferance. do you like silky smooth highs? bright highs? do you care about imaging or just like it loud?

my personal preferance is to keep the mids and tweets close to each other. cuts down on time alignment issues and IMHO, having a tweeter high in the door tends to make the dirver side tweeter sit there and scream in your ear. have never liked that setup.

where a tweeter is crossed at will have some determining fators on SQ of course. if a tweeter can honestly be crossed at 2k and play well, I would go for that over a 6k super tweeter. the midbass will have a much easier time playing up to 2k as well. I know there are some midbass that can play up to 6k well, but they are not as common.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
config A and B differ, but 1) and 2) in each config are identical. are they different comp sets?
sorry to be confusing. yes, exactly. i'm trying to decide on a component set based on their properties and am wondering if one set does better with a tweeter up high in the doors or in the kicks. the set at 6k i'm looking at is the HAT Imagine's. Nothing specific for the 2k point

some of that comes right down to personal preferance. do you like silky smooth highs? bright highs? do you care about imaging or just like it loud?
I don't prefer bright highs. I liked the tweeters in my SR6500's (ring radiator) which i no longer have...i like the soft dome scan speak tweeters in my Vienna Acoustics home speakers.

my personal preferance is to keep the mids and tweets close to each other. cuts down on time alignment issues and IMHO, having a tweeter high in the door tends to make the dirver side tweeter sit there and scream in your ear. have never liked that setup.
cool, thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
If you have the option, I would mount the mids in kicks. Lower PLD down there. Plus you can mount them a bit more on axis and solve the L/R FR issues in the 1.5-3khz range. Yes your 9887 has TA but minimizing the PLD and axis via install gives you fewer issues to manage.

With the TA on the 9887 you don't have to mount the tweets near the mids. Height cues are ~ 1.25khz up. You want these frequencies playing from a higher physical plane. I would not want my height cues at floor level. Frequencies ~ 1khz and up are more sensitive to axis response than phase issues. So the ability to play with the angles of the drivers playing these frequencies and having the driver higher up will help.

I ran the sr set for about three years and then swapped the sr tweet for the Illuminator. The Scan tweet lets me cross low around 2khz.

In a nutshell, mids in kicks, tweets angled correctly and in pillars and a cut off between mid and tweets at ~ 2khz on a steep slope.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very interesting, thanks for the advice

mids in the kicks and tweeters in the a-pillars is not an option, unfortunately. that's more cutting and fabrication than i'd like to do in this car. i simply want to optimize the front stage with the options i have. sounds like mid in the lower door and tweet in it's stock location might work better than the tweet in the kick...especially if it's crossed as high as that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts