DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain what the terms high pass, low pass and band pass mean.

My understanding is that a tweeter should be high passed which means that anything frequencies under that number does not get played through the speaker.

The woofer should be low passed meaning that it will not play frequencies above that number.

The mid woofer needs to be band passed, which has a high pass and low pass number. This sets the upper and lower thresholds that that speaker will try to push.

Is this correct?
Then when bandpassing the midwoofer, is the high pass the bigger larger number or is low pass the bigger number? Can some one provide some specs of what a typical bandpass (high pass # and low pass #) would be set at.

Thanks,

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
simpley put:
"high pass" will pass everything above a certain freq. (ex: 4500hz and up)
"low pass" will pass everything below a certain freq. (ex: 4500hz and down)

"band pass" is a combination of the two. (ex: highpass at 100 hz and lowpass at 4500hz. this will create a "band" of 100-4500hz where it will play)

where you set those numbers is all up to the install, enclosure and the drivers used. there is really no typical settings.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
simpley put:
"high pass" will pass everything above a certain freq. (ex: 4500hz and up)
"low pass" will pass everything below a certain freq. (ex: 4500hz and down)

"band pass" is a combination of the two. (ex: highpass at 100 hz and lowpass at 4500hz. this will create a "band" of 100-4500hz where it will play)

where you set those numbers is all up to the install, enclosure and the drivers used. there is really no typical settings.
Thanks for the clarification. I always get confused.

Guess i just need to remember high pass is the lower number and low pass is the high number. Oh wait a minute, I just confused my self again. :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I always get confused.

Guess i just need to remember high pass is the lower number and low pass is the high number. Oh wait a minute, I just confused my self again. :)
lol, just remember that a high pass will PASS everything HIGHer. low pass will PASS everything LOWer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts