DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an advise from you people for my Morel Elates and the bi-wire.I have an 4 channel JBL PX300.4 amp witch i want to use with my Morel Elate's 6 2 way. I have to use them passive. Head unit is OEM. For each component i will use 1 channel. This will give 123,5W RMS for the tweeters and the woofer. What i want to know is which settings i have to use at the amp. The crossover of the Morel is very good. I will HP the tweeters and pull down the gain.What about the woofer.Shall i leave it at Full or also at HP. Which point will be the best for the Elate's.If you say bridge the amp an use its standart connection i will do it.

Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you're going to use the Morel passive cross over, then switch the amp's cross overs off.
Unless you're going to abuse your Elates, I really wouldn't even bother using a high pass filter on the mid bass drivers.
They'll handle lower frequencies easily.

Alternatively, you could not bother with the passive network that Morel provided with the Elates.
Try running the system active using the 4 channels and cross overs in the amp.
Sure, you'll not have the extra channels to bridge things up (and gain more power) but the active set up will operate more efficiently possibly making the issue of less power available a moot point.

If you run active, you'll have the ability to alter cross over points between the midbasses and tweeters, and the gain for each driver independently.
This'll give you a much more flexible system however, it may take a bit longer to get set up and tuned just right.

I ran my Elates active in the end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're going to use the Morel passive cross over, then switch the amp's cross overs off.
Unless you're going to abuse your Elates, I really wouldn't even bother using a high pass filter on the mid bass drivers.
They'll handle lower frequencies easily.

Alternatively, you could not bother with the passive network that Morel provided with the Elates.
Try running the system active using the 4 channels and cross overs in the amp.
Sure, you'll not have the extra channels to bridge things up (and gain more power) but the active set up will operate more efficiently possibly making the issue of less power available a moot point.

If you run active, you'll have the ability to alter cross over points between the midbasses and tweeters, and the gain for each driver independently.
This'll give you a much more flexible system however, it may take a bit longer to get set up and tuned just right.

I ran my Elates active in the end.

Thank you for your reply.

What amp did you use and what are your active cross over points?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Phoenix Gold 500.4 Titanium.

Cross over points floated (because I could change it obviously) around 2.5 to 3kHz with 24dB/oct slopes.

Ultimately I moved to a 3 way front stage by adding their CDM88 mids.
Cross over points were then via the head unit's processor (Clarion HX-D2) at 400Hz (with 18dB H/P and L/P slopes) between midbass and mid and 2.5kHz (with 12dB slopes) between mid and tweeter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phoenix Gold 500.4 Titanium.

Cross over points floated (because I could change it obviously) around 2.5 to 3kHz with 24dB/oct slopes.

Ultimately I moved to a 3 way front stage by adding their CDM88 mids.
Cross over points were then via the head unit's processor (Clarion HX-D2) at 400Hz (with 18dB H/P and L/P slopes) between midbass and mid and 2.5kHz (with 12dB slopes) between mid and tweeter.

PG 500.4 has 4x75 W RMS. Is that power enough for the Elate's? They will need power for playing loud and clear if i am not wrong.

You have a great HU. I have to use the OEM thats why i have to think about something else.Maybe a Bit TEN processor will help me.

Thank you

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, 4 x 75w is enough to get things sounding dynamic, and loud when you want.
Especially when run active.
Yes, the Elates will respond well to more power as well. At one stage I ran my 475Ti (older version of the 500.4 - I had 3 PG Titanium amps in my last system) bridged into my Elate 6 drivers with a potential of up to 250w rms on tap.

And I know the Audison processor well because a friend of mine used one into a 500.4 and Morel Elates too.
The Audison doesn't sound as good as the HX-D2 processor (I've done a direct comparison in the same system) but it is more flexible than the HX-D2 and still an ideal choice if you must stick with the factory source unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts