DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 BMW X3 with Harman Kardon. I'm installing a Match UP 10DSP amplifier with PP-BMW 1.9RAM-HK plug & play harness. I intend to keep the OEM speakers and I will be installing a subwoofer in addition to the OEM under seat drivers.

Match has preconfigured files for the UP 10DSP based on your vehicle but they seem to be incomplete. There are two files that seem to mostly apply to my car. One is for 2017-2019 X3's. This file is designed to be used with a MOST adapter which does not apply to my car. This file has the correct channels and shows high pass filters at 150Hz for the front/rear and a low pass filter of 120Hz for the under seat drivers. The second file I found is for a 2018-2021 X4 and shows analog input and not MOST adapter. This file does not have any crossovers.

I can't link directly to the files but if you go here Audiotec Fischer and select the following you will get there:
  • UP 10DSP > BMW > X3 (G01)
  • UP 10DSP > BMW > X4 (G02 (F98) FL
Channels are:
  • Front L/R Full (4" and tweeter)
  • Rear L/R Full (4" and tweeter)
  • Surround L/R Full (not sure what drivers these are)
  • Front L/R Subwoofer (8" under seat driver)
  • Center (4" and tweeter)
I'm thinking high pass for the 4" mids should be around 150Hz based on the above config for the 2017-2019 X3. I was then thinking around 60-80Hz high pass for the under seat drivers. Because the 2017-2019 X3 config file shows low pass as 120Hz on the under seat drivers I'm a little stumped there.

Can anyone recommend initial crossovers for this application?

Would also love to hear feedback from anyone who has done something similar. I can't find much info on the UP 10DSP.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I have a 2021 BMW X3 with Harman Kardon. I'm installing a Match UP 10DSP amplifier with PP-BMW 1.9RAM-HK plug & play harness. I intend to keep the OEM speakers and I will be installing a subwoofer in addition to the OEM under seat drivers.

Match has preconfigured files for the UP 10DSP based on your vehicle but they seem to be incomplete. There are two files that seem to mostly apply to my car. One is for 2017-2019 X3's. This file is designed to be used with a MOST adapter which does not apply to my car. This file has the correct channels and shows high pass filters at 150Hz for the front/rear and a low pass filter of 120Hz for the under seat drivers. The second file I found is for a 2018-2021 X4 and shows analog input and not MOST adapter. This file does not have any crossovers.

I can't link directly to the files but if you go here Audiotec Fischer and select the following you will get there:
  • UP 10DSP > BMW > X3 (G01)
  • UP 10DSP > BMW > X4 (G02 (F98) FL
Channels are:
  • Front L/R Full (4" and tweeter)
  • Rear L/R Full (4" and tweeter)
  • Surround L/R Full (not sure what drivers these are)
  • Front L/R Subwoofer (8" under seat driver)
  • Center (4" and tweeter)
I'm thinking high pass for the 4" mids should be around 150Hz based on the above config for the 2017-2019 X3. I was then thinking around 60-80Hz high pass for the under seat drivers. Because the 2017-2019 X3 config file shows low pass as 120Hz on the under seat drivers I'm a little stumped there.

Can anyone recommend initial crossovers for this application?

Would also love to hear feedback from anyone who has done something similar. I can't find much info on the UP 10DSP.
It’s normally underlapped because of a peak in the response of the underseats from memory, my underseats have a similar peak (not in a bmw I should add), I would go with what they recommend instead of free styling it, they do extensive r&d to get to those settings for a given model 👍🏼 And yours will be very similar locations to the slightly older model, underseats, mids in doors, tweeters in sails

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@dumdum Thanks for the reply. I'm inclined to agree. I'm fairly certain that the speakers are the exact same between the 2017-2019 and the later models. I believe they just changed the amplifier.

If there is a peak in the response from the under seat woofers, wouldn't it make more sense to clean that up with EQ and raise the low pass filter? I know the manufacturer puts some thought into their config files but neither of these files have any EQ or time alignment settings and only one of them even has crossovers. It really seems like they're incomplete.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
@dumdum Thanks for the reply. I'm inclined to agree. I'm fairly certain that the speakers are the exact same between the 2017-2019 and the later models. I believe they just changed the amplifier.

If there is a peak in the response from the under seat woofers, wouldn't it make more sense to clean that up with EQ and raise the low pass filter? I know the manufacturer puts some thought into their config files but neither of these files have any EQ or time alignment settings and only one of them even has crossovers. It really seems like they're incomplete.
Use eq or use a lower crossover to remove a peak achieves the same result and it’s easier if you can do it in one manoeuvre so to speak, unless you’re going to measure and adjust using a mic I would stick with there crossover recommendations

as for time alignment if you are t sure use a tape measure and just enter the distances, it won’t be far off that way

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@dumdum Thanks again for the reply. I just read your build log. Definitely jealous of your under seat drivers! I will be using a mic and REW to tune. Any chance you have any thoughts on how to incorporate my OEM under seat drivers? I'm not sure if I should high pass them (and if so, where?) or if I should try to overlap them with the sub. I'm also curious about potentially playing them higher than 120Hz to potentially get a bit more impact than the factory mids are capable of. Amp and sub are both installed now so it's time to tune.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If your tuning it properly I would measure and then decide… the car decides where crossovers are placed 👍🏼 It will end up around 140-200 and maybe 60hz I’d think, you want a nice response with 24db slopes and good summation between mids and midbass (6db of summation at crossover points and between left and right midbass drivers, sub and lower mids)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts