DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a follow up for my last midbass thread. I have pretty much decided on using the crystal comp 8" for my midbass in my "Get loud or die trying" front stage project.

Considering the stupid-loud volumes im going to be driving this driver to, i would really like to build a small sealed enclosure to set inside the door for the driver, because unless i remove and rebuild the doors with all kinds of wild reinforcements, i dont see any amount of deadening being able to keep the output from the speaker, and will not be able to keep the sound of the speaker "tight" due to the flexing of the door.

Here are the specs i was able to come up with for the driver.

qts .55
qes .6
qms 5.71
vas .250 ft^3
fs 36
xmax 25mm (one way linear)
4 ohm

Now, how well do you guys feel this driver would work in a small sealed enclosure for midbass (probably 80 to 200-250hz), with about 400watts RMS each. And am I heading in the right direction with a small enclosure, or am I better off running it free air in the doors and hoping for the best? (FYI, single cab silverado)

Any input or ideas would be greatly appriciated you guys. Im no expert, and am hoping that some of you with a bit more expierience can give me some direction.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
newtitan said:
HOLY CRAP WOW

can you fit those things in your doors? they are like 8" deep I thought

nice idea though lol

id run them IB, since they need 1 cu ft each sealed--doubt you could make a pod that big

http://www.crystalmobilesound.com/literature/CMP 8 Spec sheet.pdf
Yeah i think they are 6.5" deep, ill probably use a 1.5" thick baffle, so I should be fine. I hope.

They reccomend 1cu ft for low freq, im wondering if since im going to be sticking a ton of power too them, and using them in higher freq's, i could get away with a smaller enclosure.

Still wishing dayton would make a ref HO 8" sub.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I've heard that driver before and it's great for 20-80hz, but I felt way too boomy to be used above that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
that kind of power and wanting to build an enclosure would tell me maybe a RE Audio XXX 6.5 would be good for you. At least that's what I've read. it's not as deep as that crystal and good for midbass. under $200 on the used market which some people haven't even used.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
those XXX arent very loud, a sit seems he wants high output
what about two adire extremis --sealed door pods wire into 4 ohm per side?

or are you only wanting 8's?

dont think your going to get "more" midbass than the 830491 peerless

if you can find a pair of course

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, this is why i made this thread, to avoid any potential and costly mistakes.

I was eye balling the XXX, however i feel the price is too high for what you get.

The peerless 830491 is exactly what I want, actually. However, like mentioned above, I have yet to find anybody who sells them in the states.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts