DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new here just trying to figure out how to properly design a box for my sub. im using WINISD and got everything down pretty much except the port is confusing me, can someone just double check my measurements and tell me exactly what tune this box will give me ?
My box is HxWxL 12.5x18x14.5 =1.365ft3
My port length is 11" tall by 1" wide, and 21" long, i am looking for a tune of 32hz. Will these dimensions give me that?
i am confused about how to calculate the port length, it asks for box volume, tuning and HxW to give me the port length. but does it incorporate port displacement into my tuning? or is my 32hz set tuning still going to be 32hz when i add that sized port and the displacement is irrelevant to the tune.
Do you think this is a good box for my sub specs? i wanted to go slightly larger than specs. :stupid:

Power Handling Power Range: 200 - 500 Watts
RMS Power Handling: 500 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 1500 Watts
Dimensions Mounting Depth: 172mm (6.8'')
Mounting Diameter: 231mm (9.1'')
Displacement: 0.050 cu. ft. (Front Mount)
Added Volume: 0.055 cu.ft. (Reverse Mount, Magnet Out)
General Frequency Response: 24Hz - 600kHz4

external box dimensions 12.5" x 14.5" x17.25"
Gross internal volume 1.3 ft3
vent area (dimensions) 11 inches2
vent length 22"
vent displacement 0.237 ft3
net internal volume 1 ft3

·
Registered
411 Posts
On my super simple app that comes out as 0.99ft^3 net tuned to 35hz

If you go from 14.5 to 15.5 and make the port 24 long it comes out 1.05 tuned to 32hz

The other option is to go aero port which let's you run a smaller box in the end because the port doesn't take up as much space.
Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i actually just found this site which does all you need for an L shaped ported box, reaudio dot com/box.php
when i input my specs you cannot change the port length it is pre-determined but i end up with 29.4hz tune. so now that i know what to do to make my box, my question is what should i tune it for? something around 30hz or a little higher around 35hz, i listen to mostly rap, pop, and some rock and electronic music, i prefer tight SQ bass over the flubbery boomy sound that is my current box, i had a JL that sounded amazing but this type R is very boomy and not clean.. can i achieve that clean sounding bass from this type R?

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you want to make it easier still, download WINISD alpha, it'll give you round port dimensions then you just built the box, put the port in and go.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks, do you know about the transfer function graph at all? does higher the db mean louder but more distortion, and does close to 0db produce the cleanest sound but not as loud? is the goal to make the line a nice curve rather than a high point and a slope dropping down?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok thanks, do you know about the transfer function graph at all? does higher the db mean louder but more distortion, and does close to 0db produce the cleanest sound but not as loud? is the goal to make the line a nice curve rather than a high point and a slope dropping down?
here some pics of my current bassworx box(yellow) comparing to my custom design(white), it should sound a LOT cleaner according to the charts if im right?
the db is [email protected] 48hz on old box and the port velocity is 132ft/s compared to [email protected] 43hz and 85ft/s

air velocity.jpg transfer function.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts